Kitchen remodel wiring

Old 11-27-10, 05:36 AM
Kitchen remodel wiring

Hi All

I'm about to embark on a kitchen remodel. The house is 1912 and has a lot of knob and tube and old AC with cloth insulation. I'm in Chicago so have to use pipe for everything. I have full access in the basement so will be running a 1" pipe around perimeter. While I have access to the stud bays, I will run EMT to the 2nd floor to replace existing recepticles and add new ones.

I have a few questions

As I don't have access to the end of any stud walls, running pipe between the studs would be a lot of short sections and connectors, so I figured I'd run vertical emt from the 1" pipe in the basement (lots of junction boxes).

1st question
is this a better method than running lots of short pieces? If I were to run from box to box, would I run conduit at the center height of the boxes (so I come out of right side of one box, through a stud and into the left side of another box).

2nd question
Can I just pigtail the wire to the recepticle in the JB on the floor joist? So I would cut the incoming wire, pigtail the wires for the recepticle (2-4 feet above) and also pigtail the outgoing wires to the next recepticle. Or, do I have to run the wire up to the recepticle, pigtail in its box and then run it back down?

3rd Question
As there will be many circuits in the 1" perimeter conduit, can other circuits pass through a jb where I make a pigtail. For example, the dishwasher and one of the small appliance circuits share the same run for much of the distance, so I would be running the dishwasher circuit through 3 jb's that have vertical runs to outlets above. Is it OK to pigtail the wires for the small appliance recepticles and have the dishwasher circuit pass straight through those JB's

Thanks

Mark

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-10, 06:44 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by mark_anderson_u View Post
As I don't have access to the end of any stud walls, running pipe between the studs would be a lot of short sections and connectors, so I figured I'd run vertical emt from the 1" pipe in the basement (lots of junction boxes).
1" pipe is pretty big for what you are doing. You can get 16 #12 wires in a 3/4" EMT. I'm not 100% familiar with Chicago code but isn't flex metal conduit allowed?

1st question
is this a better method than running lots of short pieces? If I were to run from box to box, would I run conduit at the center height of the boxes (so I come out of right side of one box, through a stud and into the left side of another box).
Again, check if FMC is allowed. If I'm understanding correctly, you could just cut your hole for the receptacle, drop a line down to the basement, and pull up. This will help guide the conduit. Also seams to me that putting a j-box in the basement and fishing up once is all you need.

2nd question
Can I just pigtail the wire to the recepticle in the JB on the floor joist? So I would cut the incoming wire, pigtail the wires for the recepticle (2-4 feet above) and also pigtail the outgoing wires to the next recepticle. Or, do I have to run the wire up to the recepticle, pigtail in its box and then run it back down?
There is no reason to go up and down if your using conduit. Just put you j-box in, run once to the receptacle. Make all your splices in the j-box below.

3rd Question
As there will be many circuits in the 1" perimeter conduit, can other circuits pass through a jb where I make a pigtail. For example, the dishwasher and one of the small appliance circuits share the same run for much of the distance, so I would be running the dishwasher circuit through 3 jb's that have vertical runs to outlets above. Is it OK to pigtail the wires for the small appliance recepticles and have the dishwasher circuit pass straight through those JB's
You can have as many circuits as you want in the boxes/conduit keeping in mind conduit and box fill. Keep them grouped to keep straight which hot goes with what neutral.

Old 11-27-10, 07:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
While you can install as many wires in the 1" conduit that was noted above you will run into derating issues and you will need to reduce the ampacity or install larger conductors to compensate.

I would run smaller conduits with less circuits in them.