Problems installing GFCI Outlet/Switch! Please help!

Old 11-29-10, 02:58 PM
Problems installing GFCI Outlet/Switch! Please help!

Hey all. I am replacing my code failing kitchen outlets with GFCI outlets.

The outlet has a regular receptacle, and a switch for the garbage disposal in the sink.

The outlet I bought has the ground screw on the bottom, two white (gray) screws on one side, two brass (hot) screws on the other side, and then two built in wires dangling out of it close to the top called the 'switch wires'.

I have hooked up the incoming and outgoing wires correctly (I THINK!) (e.g. the outlet receives power, and the outlets down the line also get power.)

HOWEVER, when I toggle the switch, I get NO reaction from the garbage disposal.

I have a total of EIGHT wires (excluding grounds) in this box.

Input - Hot/White (which plugs into the bottom screws - as per the directions)

Output - Hot/White (which goes to feed other receptacles in the room - and is plugged into the top two screws).

Switch Wires - Both black - which are un-connected (as pictured). - THESE WIRES ARE PHYSICALLY ATTACHED TO THE RECEPTACLE.

Disposal wires - hot/white - both un-connected as pictured.

The unit itself has 2 holes to enter wire into on each screw, so bridging two of the connections should be a breeze with a small piece of wire if I have to.

If someone knows what must be connected to what, it would be great.

I dont know all the right terminology, so if someone could respond to me using my above lingo that would be great.

E.g. - You need to plug the disposal white into the output hot - or bridge the input hot with the output hot.

I could understand that. :P

Sorry for being such a noob!

PHOTOS:
http://www.aaa-computerrepair.com/pictures/elec1.jpg
http://www.aaa-computerrepair.com/pictures/elec2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-10, 03:16 PM
Group Moderator
The outlet has a regular receptacle, and a switch for the garbage disposal in the sink
If this is on the counter top receptacle circuit it can't be used for the garbage disposer. The GD need to be on it's own circuit. The GD can share a circuit with the dishwasher if total amps isn't to great..

Old 11-29-10, 05:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
For new work that would be correct Ray, but since this is just receptacle replacement on an existing circuit it can be left as-is.

To get the disposal working on the switch, connect one of the black switch wires to the other brass LOAD terminal. Each of these terminals can accept two wires, and you already have one installed there per the picture. The other switch wire gets wirenutted to the black wire going to the disposal. The white coming from the disposal gets connected to the silver LOAD terminal where you should already have a white wire connected. All of the grounds should be connected to each other and to the ground screw on the receptacle.

Old 11-29-10, 06:46 PM
Just to make absolutely certain - LINE is what is coming in, and LOAD is what goes to the other receptacles?

Old 11-29-10, 08:13 PM
Group Moderator
Yes. Line is the always hot cable that comes in. Load is power to devices.

Old 11-29-10, 08:21 PM
Attaching the disposal to the LOAD terminals the way that was described worked!

Thanks very much!

Old 11-30-10, 08:47 AM
An electrician taught me to remember that LINE contains IN for "in" and LOAD contains an O for "out".
JoeP

Old 11-30-10, 10:51 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by joeperi View Post
An electrician taught me to remember that LINE contains IN for "in" and LOAD contains an O for "out".
JoeP
Good one.

Old 11-30-10, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by joeperi View Post
JoeP
When I hear "load" I get a mental picture of a couch potato. For me, that makes it pretty clear which way the energy is flowing.