Max number of circuits on a 200 amp panel

Old 11-30-10, 03:40 PM
Max number of circuits on a 200 amp panel

Does code indicate or restrict the number of circuits one can have on a panel? My house is wired for 200 amps and I have about 18 circuits in total. I'd like to add an additional 4 circuits to the panel for the shear purpose of balancing loads throughout the house. Some existing circuits will be split while I'd also like to add two entirely new circuits. The panel I have can support at least 30 breakers (if not more).

Does code have anything to say about this? Again, I'm not adding circuits for new equipment, just trying to relieve overloaded, existing circuits. Don't know if ~25 circuits is overkill or an inspector would give me a hard time.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-10, 03:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The maximum number of circuits in the panel is dependant on the sticker inside the panel. The panel is listed by UL for a max number.

You can fill the panel to the max number as long as you do not exceed the max.

Old 11-30-10, 05:46 PM
Group Moderator
If you list the model number or catalog number we can tell you how many is allowed in your panel.

Old 11-30-10, 06:36 PM
Does code indicate or restrict the number of circuits one can have on a panel?
While the code used to restrict the number of circuits in a panel to 42, that restriction has been relaxed in the 2008 NEC. I don't belive there is a definitive maximum number of circuits allowed in a panel today. In your case, as other have already stated, the panel indicates the maximum number of circuits it is designed and listed to have in it.

Old 12-01-10, 09:45 AM
I understand from a panel perspective. Now, for a 1,900 sq. ft. colonial, would it be excessive or unrealistic to have 25 circuits? It seems that the circuits I need the most are the ones that cover the greatest area in my home and are also only 15a. I have two 15a circuits covering my 4 bedrooms and one bathroom upstairs; hardly enough for multiple TVs, heaters, window A/C units, etc.

Old 12-01-10, 09:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That number of circuits is not unusual for a house that size.