Square D 60 Generator Transfer enclosure wiring question

Old 12-02-10, 03:59 PM
Square D 60 Generator Transfer enclosure wiring question

Hello folks,
I'm about to install a 60 amp SQUARE D transfer switch.
There is nothing in the instructions (missing info) regarding the wiring of the selected circuits from the main breaker panel to the gen transfer switch breakers

What i'm trying to find out is this:
Do I need to disconnect all the selected circuit neutrals and grounds
and bring those along with the hot leads into the transfer switch box, or can I leave them connected and bring correct sized (heavy) ground and neutral leads to the transfer switch, thus eliminating all those extra wires?

Also: Does anyone know if NEC allows the Generator inlet connection box to be mounted on the interior of a garage exterior wall by the roll-up door?
I'm guessing not, due to the carbon monoxide issue if the door was closed during genny operation. My buddy wants to be able to set the genny just under the roof overhang to keep the rain off of it.

i'm planning on working on this on 12-3-10

Thanks, jim

Last edited by Solar1; 12-02-10 at 04:30 PM. Reason: forgot another issue with this question
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-10, 06:45 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Solar1 View Post
Also: Does anyone know if NEC allows the Generator inlet connection box to be mounted on the interior of a garage exterior wall by the roll-up door?
I'm guessing not, due to the carbon monoxide issue if the door was closed during genny operation. My buddy wants to be able to set the genny just under the roof overhang to keep the rain off of it.
This is not an NEC issue and you could put the inlet where ever you want. It makes sense though to consider CO issues. Makes sense to me to have it inside. Your cord would just need to reach it.

Old 12-02-10, 09:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know the Square D model off the top of my head, but in many of the transfer switches you install one neutral and one ground from the switch back to the main panel. They are sized to match the generator incoming breaker (#10 30A, #8 40A-50A, #6 60A). The hots are removed from their breakers in the main panel and extended to the breakers in the transfer panel. The transfer panel is fed from the main via a double-pole breaker and appropriately sized conductors.

NEC would allow you to mount the inlet anywhere you like provided it's protected from damage and weather. If outside it must be an outdoor rated inlet or inlet assembly.

Old 12-07-10, 07:33 PM
thanks to all, project turned out just fine and safe.

Old 12-07-10, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by Solar1 View Post

i'm planning on working on this on 12-3-10

Thanks, jim
I rather keep a longer cord and keep the generator exhaust away from the building and keep it downwind and I will never let anyone put the portable genny under the roof overhang to keep the rain off from it during running mode that is not a really good move on that part due the carbon moxide issue it can find a way to get into the house.

Unless this is a detached garage ., then it may be not too bad but attached garage that is a major issue you will have to watch out.

Merci.
Marc