Putting in an outlet near stove

Old 12-02-10, 05:22 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Putting in an outlet near stove

I'm putting in new kitchen cabinets, which is not my topic, but that explains why I'm looking for an answer now

We have an outlet on one side of our sink, but when my wife makes mashed potatoes, she plugs in the hand mixer and has to drag the cord across the sink to reach the pot on the stove.

We have tile on the wall above the counter, so this presents a problem unless I want to try to cut a perfect square in the old tile without damage. Rather than describe the area, my question is, is there anywhere I legally can NOT put the outlet?

I know it needs to be a GFCI, and it will be. We do NOT plan to put a microwave above the stove, but we WOULD like to put an exhaust fan/light above it. If they make one with an outlet, I'm good to go, but if not, I need to find a spot for a receptacle. This would mean maybe putting one in a surface-mount box under the cabinet ... ugh... Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-10, 05:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 204 Votes on 181 Posts
The only place you may not is in the surface of the counter top facing up. Other than that anyplace is fine. How about inside the cabinet just to the right or left of the stove? No wall damage to contend with.

You may install a receptacle in the cabinet above the range hood and connect an appliance cord to the exhaust fan. I would suggest if you do that, you should pull another circuit in case down the line you choose you install an above range microwave you will be all set.

Old 12-03-10, 05:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 72 Posts
Cutting the tile can be done with a Roto-zip and a carbide tile bit.

Old 12-18-10, 06:19 PM
C
Well, the cabinets are in, and we purchased a range hood, but couldn't find any with an outlet built in.

Tolyn, while I liked your idea, if I put the outlet inside the cabinet above the hood, my wife can't reach it unless it were right up front.

pcboss, I'm worried about the tile idea, because if I screw it up, I can't get a replacement tile. It's this original 1950's green color which is also in our bathroom, and we couldn't find a close enough replacement for the one that got cracked in there.

The shame of it is, we have a large space in back of our range/oven, due to the strange placement of our gas line. I guess the position was fine for the 1950's stove that was here when the place was built, but it's so far to the right of the oven "hole" that the side of our new oven is too thick to get between the gas line (which comes out of the wall) and the kitchen cabinets. As a result, the stove sticks out about 2.5" from the wall.

My wife wants me to build a shelf of some sort above the stove, and "continue it down" the side to where it meets the countertop. I thought maybe this might be a good place for an outlet, but being that it's only 2.5" wide, I can accommodate an electrical box, but not a cover plate to cover an outlet. I'm not even sure if this would be legal, even if I could fit one.

My wife's thought was to simply plug an extension cord into the outlet behind the oven, but the question is -- again -- is that legal and/of safe, and what would we do with it when it's not being used? Maybe something retractable?

There's absolutely no room under the range hood (it's got a sleek, flat bottom, so there's no room under or "inside" of it, unless I remove tiles or surface mount an outlet. Any other ideas?

Old 12-18-10, 06:46 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Pictures might help someone to come up with an idea.

Old 12-18-10, 07:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 204 Votes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Critical Mass View Post
Tolyn, while I liked your idea, if I put the outlet inside the cabinet above the hood, my wife can't reach it unless it were right up front.
You would only need to access the receptacle (outlet) in the cabinet for the once to plug in the range hood. Constant access would not be needed as you would not be accessing this outlet very often.

Originally Posted by Critical Mass View Post
My wife's thought was to simply plug an extension cord into the outlet behind the oven, but the question is -- again -- is that legal and/of safe, and what would we do with it when it's not being used? Maybe something retractable?
Extension cords may not be used as a replacement for permanent wiring. I stand by my suggestion for the mixer. Install an additional receptacle inside the right or left lower cabinet next to the stove. Should be easy access for the wife.

Old 12-19-10, 06:24 AM
What about an old work Box on the underside of the cabinets? Then, you only have the space of the box in the cabinets. It is also nice for uc lights.