Running service from existing sub panel

Old 12-01-10, 07:02 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Running service from existing sub panel

I have read several posts on here, each one had one element or another of my project, but none had me covered from start to finish. I am not an electrician, but have upgraded my house panel my self and added new circuits, etc, so I am not totally clueless when it comes to this stuff....

Now to my question...I have a panel outside which used to power my hot tub. I got rid of the tub, but now have a new storage shed. I would like to run from the hot tub sub panel (disconnect?) To my shed. The shed is approximately 40 feet from this panel (which is also GFCI protected). Not looking to run anything larger than hand tools, compound saw, lights and a fan.

I was planning on buying a small panel for inside the shed with circuit breakers. The hot tub circuit is 50amp.

What gauge wire and type should I run from the panel, underground to the shed?
In conduit, or not?
Can I add a breaker panel in the shed to avoid a "disconnect"?
Suggestions for number of circuits in the shed and best way to seperate them?
Anything I have forgotten or left out?
Oh yes, how deep do I bury the wire and/or conduit?
Since it is already GFCI, and presumably grounded, do I need ground rods at the shed also?

Whew! Typed all that from my phone! Hopefully I gave enough details to assist in guiding me. I look forward to your responses!

Old 12-01-10, 08:04 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
If there are only three wires to the existing subpanel you can't. How many wires do you have?

Old 12-02-10, 09:06 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
As Ray said we will need to know the number and type of wires in the existing sub before confirming the plan, but it is probably workable. A picture of the inside of the tub sub would be great.

Originally Posted by kshew97
I was planning on buying a small panel for inside the shed with circuit breakers.
For just a few hand tools and lighting, a 20A multiwire branch circuit would be sufficient. A panel would really only be needed if you plan to use some bigger tools or want electric heat or cooling.

What gauge wire and type should I run from the panel, underground to the shed?
It depends on how much power you think you'll need. If you go with 20A MWBC you could use #12/3g UF-B cable. If you go with the full 50A you would need #6/3g cable.

In conduit, or not?
UF-B direct burial cable can be used at 24" deep, or THHN wires in PVC conduit at 18" deep. It's up to you. The MWBC option may allow a 12" trench.

Can I add a breaker panel in the shed to avoid a "disconnect"?
A panel counts as a disconnect, so does a simple toggle switch or air conditioner pullout.

Since it is already GFCI, and presumably grounded, do I need ground rods at the shed also?
For a panel, yes; for a MWBC, no.

Old 12-02-10, 10:33 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Let me revise my first answer. If you have three wires only to the original sub you may be able to run 120v to the shed but you can't run a 240v sub panel. If three wires what color are they?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: