Adding outlet when wires are too short

Old 12-05-10, 05:59 AM
Adding outlet when wires are too short

Ok below a plexy glass window is a outlet box covered with a plate. The 2 black wires are long enough but the white wires have been cut short and wire nutted and there is no slack to pull them out. Would I be able to add 2 white wires to the wire-nut so i can put in a outlet or no? they had to be on there at one time cause they cut a hole in the side the size of a window and put thin Plexiglas caulked and screwed in.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-10, 06:20 AM
Why would you need two white wires? Only one is needed to feed the silver side of the receptacle. For that matter, you could do the same thing with the blacks by adding a single pigtail to their wire nut and using it to feed the brass side of the receptacle.

Old 12-05-10, 08:17 AM
There are 4 wires total. 2 blacks 2 whites and the ground. Someone removed the outlet and just wirenutted the wires together as a bypass. So I would need 2 wires on one side of the outlet and the 2 blacks on the other-side

Old 12-05-10, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by flirty1 View Post
There are 4 wires total. 2 blacks 2 whites and the ground. Someone removed the outlet and just wirenutted the wires together as a bypass. So I would need 2 wires on one side of the outlet and the 2 blacks on the other-side
Nope, you only need one black, one white and one ground wire on the receptacle. Pigtail the whites and pigtail the blacks as Rick suggested.

Old 12-05-10, 10:51 AM
Group Moderator
Are you sure it is live? Are you sure it is not on a restricted circuit such as kitchen counter or bath? There is a ground isn't there?

Old 12-05-10, 12:18 PM
It is live its in my bedroom. There is a ground wire. I pigtailed the whites and blacks to the outlet and pigtailed the ground and the outlet works. I did test it before to make sure it had power.

Old 12-05-10, 01:06 PM
Group Moderator
Excellent. Thanks for letting us know.