no power

Old 12-05-10, 07:23 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
no power

Power went out in my 1 room only.if you stick tester in recepticles it shows power til you put a draw on it then nothing. no breakers popped , just power went out.ive changed the breaker an 1 of 4 recepticles there is also 1 light switch an fixture. please help .cold in michigan.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-10, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Hi welcome.

What make main panel do you have? It sounds like a short somewhere and if breakers are not tripping this can lead to fire and is very dangerous. You say cold, do you have electric heat??

Mike NJ

Old 12-05-10, 08:26 AM
B
i have gas heat.but we were using a elec. space heater in the room that has issue.breaker box is a cutler-hammer ch-130

Old 12-05-10, 08:45 AM
S
Was the one receptacle you changed "back-stabbed"?? If so, I would first change the other 3 and see the result.

Old 12-05-10, 08:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Lawrosa, it indicates an open neutral, not a short. A short would have tripped a breaker in all probability. Brian, remove the power from the receptacles at the breaker and pull the receptacles one at a time, checking the neutral connection. Any using a stab back connection, remove them and replace them on the screw head associated with that wire. If the breaker controls more than that one room, you may have to investigate those receptacles as well. Check the neutral connection in the breaker panel as well, but be extremely careful.

Old 12-05-10, 08:49 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Your space heater has caused a wire to burn off or a connection to come loose on this circuit. The fix is to open up every receptacle, switch and light fixture on the circuit until you find find the bad connection. It is often at a backstabbed receptacle, but could be in a wirenut or crimp too. Move backstabbed connections to the adjacent screw terminals. If the receptacles are old this a good time to replace them while you're at it. Remake wirenut connections as they can burn off inside and you can't tell from a visual inspection.

Space heaters really should not be used for anything more than temporary use. If they are used more regularly it should be on a dedicated circuit.

Old 12-05-10, 09:09 AM
Received 85 Votes on 75 Posts
breaker box is a cutler-hammer ch-130
That wouldn't be a breaker box catalog number, but a circuit breaker catalog number. CH 130 is a 30 amp single pole Cutler Hammer breaker. If that is the breaker you are using, please turn it off immediately! You need to know the correct amperage rating of the circuit to select the proper new breaker. A 20 amp breaker would be CH 120 and a 15 amp breaker would be a CH 115. Either could be correct depending on the wire size of the branch circuit.

Old 12-05-10, 09:10 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
In old houses especially check any ceiling lights or ceiling fans on the same breaker. In older houses receptacles are often fed from ceiling boxes. The heat from years of lights make the wires brittle and ceiling fans can vibrate connections loose. Look for burnt wires and remove and replace any wire nuts.

When you get this fixed start a new thread on installing a dedicated 120v 20a receptacle and we will tell you how to properly install a receptacle for the heater.

Old 12-05-10, 10:01 AM
B
thanx

thnx for all the replies an help . it was the last recepticle that worked an was a burnt end on a backstabbed outlet... thought i would let u all know what it actually was so u knew if you was right.. have a gr8 holiday .an i will reccommend this site to all who request help for now on.

Old 12-05-10, 11:01 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Thanks for letting us know. Please consider a dedicated receptacle if you plan to use the heater again. Also carefully examine the plug on the heater. They start to melt after a while in my experience.