TV interference when light switch is turned off

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-10, 07:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
TV interference when light switch is turned off

The TV senses when the under-cabinet light switch is flipped to the off position. Evidently, the TV senses a spark. It doesn't happen :when the light is turned on, with other lights or other under-cabinet lights in the room, or with the other TV that is farther away.

The wall toggle switch is a standard Leviton that costs less than a dollar. The metal box in the wall holding the switch is just big enough to house the switch and the two black, white, and ground wires, that appear to be #12. If I am to replace the switch with a better quality one. I wish it would be no bigger than the one that is there.

Why does this one switch have a problem and what can I do about it?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-10, 08:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by OneAsterStreet View Post
The TV senses when the under-cabinet light switch is flipped to the off position. Evidently, the TV senses a spark. It doesn't happen :when the light is turned on, with other lights or other under-cabinet lights in the room, or with the other TV that is farther away.
Just to be clear, is the interference is just a quick pop when you flip the switch or is it constantly going when the switch is off?

Originally Posted by OneAsterStreet View Post
The wall toggle switch is a standard Leviton that costs less than a dollar. The metal box in the wall holding the switch is just big enough to house the switch and the two black, white, and ground wires, that appear to be #12. If I am to replace the switch with a better quality one. I wish it would be no bigger than the one that is there.?
You could try changing the switch but I'm guessing it has more to do with the circuit it is on then the switch unless the switch is a lighted one or a dimmer.
By the sounds of it I would say your box is overfilled. This could be a hazard.

Old 12-19-11, 05:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
So what is the solution? I am in the same boat. I have not added anything to the rooms that are having this issue (ie additional lights, etc).

Old 12-19-11, 05:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
That's a year old post. Go to your other post for a possible solution.

Old 12-19-11, 07:35 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I am closing this thread. Please don't raise old posts from the dead when it is a duplicate of another thread you started. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...rfearance.html

Closed Thread