NM-B....can I get away with this?

Old 12-06-10, 02:06 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
NM-B....can I get away with this?

Thanks in advance for any feedback you might have.

I decided to give Walmart the finger tonight and opted out of buying their $55 50ft outdoor extension chord and instead thought I'd be real smart and buy 50ft of NM-B 12/2 Wiring with a male and female heavy duty socket pieces.

Big Mistake ! I'm an idiot, yes I know this type of wire does not pass code for outside, etc. and will eventually rot. Walmart wins again !

Put simply, I spent my budget to power my dog/utility shed that's 40 ft away from my house this month on these parts to build my own extension chord and buy a utility heater, my question is, can I get by until next month by using this without blowing my house up or causing a fire? ... the ends are both insulated and I reinforced them with electrical tape. The wire is off the ground and nobody in my county (rural Tennessee) enforces the codes.

thanks again,
B

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-10, 03:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
You can't use NM-B outside. Take the female end and terminate it in a proper junction box and install a receptacle. That way you can plug in your lights, etc to keep fido warm.
On the male end, you didn't say where it was plugged in. You need to hardwire the male end as well. Keep it off the ground and make yourself a promise to remove it as soon as you can. Don't worry about the codes that aren't enforced....worry about your safety.
When you get ready to do the shed/dog house properly, let us know and we'll walk you through it.

Old 12-06-10, 10:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 204 Votes on 181 Posts
I would worry more about shock then a fire. Critters love to chew on that stuff.
Depending on the load, a #12 extension cord might not be needed as a lower gauge might suffice. That said, critters like to chew on cords too so your best bet is to get some UF a bury a line to the shed.

Follow Chandler's suggestions and replace this ASAP!

Old 12-06-10, 10:27 AM
F
Speaking of dog house make sure you have this on GFCI protection this is very important.

What type of heater ya talking about ? most portable heaters can draw much as 1500 watts.

The NM-B is not rated for outdoor useage at all you will need use the UF-B cable if you plan to run it outside.

I will seriouslly tell you to keep the cords out of the dog way due they will like to chew on anything so if you are going to make a perament set up in that area then I suggest that to run this in the conduit { I rather use the metal conduit instead of plastique due the dogs can chew on plastic in matter of time } and make it dog proof set up so they can not destory it.

Merci,
Marc

Old 12-06-10, 11:35 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Would just enlarge on the animals due the darnedest things and suggest a GFCI breaker rather then receptacle. Might save the dogs life if he gets to the cable some how. Suggest an electric oil filled radiator. Uses maybe less electric because only on long enough to heat the oil then the oil provides heat till it cools and the electric comes back on to heat the oil again. Gives a more even heat and won't burn the dog if he touches it. Might want to put a metal cage around it anyway though to protect the cord from being chewed.

Old 12-11-10, 11:51 AM
B
Thank you all for your responses...I have acquired the suggested uf-b cable from a friend, it says "sunlight resistant" and is grey. Now about the receptacles....I think I'm ready to do this the right way, should there be a pvc conduit buried for this wire ?, should I start a new thread specifically titled for this topic?

I really have no idea how to "tap in" to an existing breaker box, plug, etc. I'll do some self-education and once again, you guys are very helpful and I'm thankful for this website.

B

Old 12-11-10, 12:56 PM
M
There should be no reason you have to put the wire in conduit if it is UF unless you want it for convenience of being able to add more wires in the future without having to retrench the yard. As for tying into an existing circuit, the easiest way will probably be to hard wire it into an existing outside receptacle, however you need to make sure any holes you drill will be weather proof afterwards. Also make sure the power is off to the receptacle before you tinker with it. As everyone else said the wire must be GFCI protected so you can do that by either buying a gfci outlet and a weatherproof box for the dog house or tie into an existing gfci at the house. This can get complicated to someone who doesn't have much electrical experience so if you have anymore questions be sure to ask us and we will do our best to help you.

Old 12-11-10, 02:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 204 Votes on 181 Posts
When burying UF cable, PVC conduit is required for 0-12" in a GFCI protected circuit and 0-24" on a non-GFCI protected circuit.

I agree with tapping to an existing outdoor receptacle. Then you an put it on the load side of the GFCI and protect it that way. This will allow you to bury it 12" if you wish.

Last edited by ray2047; 12-16-10 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Correct typo.
Old 12-14-10, 02:08 PM
codes arent reinforced in my area, either, but i still follow them. go to walmart or harbor freight or wherever and buy a 10 or 12 awg triple tap extension cord

Old 12-14-10, 04:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
You'll have to protect the triple tap, since it is outside, and an extension cord isn't a permanent solution which the OP is seeking.

Old 12-14-10, 05:44 PM
The triple tap will be inside, and it is good enough for the winter, and mine are out from the end of September into January.

Old 12-14-10, 07:13 PM
F
Justin.,

I will advise you not to give out this kind of advise in the fourm so please do follow the code and common sense here.

Merci.
Marc

Old 12-15-10, 02:24 PM
I do not recall reading anything about outdoor extension cords being protected from the weather. at least i use outdoor extension cords, none of my neighbours do.

Old 12-15-10, 04:38 PM
F
Justin.,

If you read the OP question very carefull you will understand where this goes.

And my answer still stand.

Merci.
Marc

Old 12-15-10, 10:19 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
While I don't recall the Article number the NEC expressly forbids the use of "extension cords" as a substitute for permanent wiring. This is generally accepted as meaning the extension cord MUST be removed at the end of the work day.