ELECTRICAL WIRING

Old 12-19-00, 11:52 AM
Visiting Guest
I NEED A WIRING DIAGRAM TO BE ABLE TO CHANGE A WALL SWITCH TO A COMBINATION SWITCH/OUTLET, HELP!

Old 12-19-00, 02:14 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
You must have a grounded leg [aka neutral] present in the box where that switch is. Make sure that you have more than one romex cable entering into that switch box. If you only have one cable entering that switch box you most likely will have to run a new power source into that switch box to use it for a receptacle also.

Check and tell us what you have in that switch box and describe the wiring nuting colors of wires and the colors of wires going to the switch. This should help us help you.

See ya soon

Wg

Old 12-19-00, 03:08 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
RUSHMAN, a switch simply stands in between your breaker panel and light fixture and makes or interrupts the "hot" leg. The grounded leg [aka neutral] goes directly from the breaker panel to the fixture and is permanently connected there and never switched. So often a builder will not even go to the switch wallbox and you will have no "neutral" there at all. Without that you can't have an "outlet" (receptacle). Get back to us regarding what wires you have in there. If you have more than 2 conductors, and are experienced with an electrical tester see if placing your probes on a white and black will give you 120 volts =/-. If you have no "neutral" you will not get a voltage reading and can't have your combination light switch/outlet.

Juice

Old 12-20-00, 10:02 AM
Visiting Guest
thanks for help !

JUICE HEAD,AND WGOODRICH,
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP, YOU HAVE ALREADY ANSWERED ONE OF MY QUESTIONS IN SAYING THAT I NEED MORE THAN 1 ROMEX CABLE GOING INTO THE SWITCH,MY PROBLEM NOW IS THAT I AM IN NEW JERSEY AND THE SWITCH IS IN JUPITER, FLORIDA SO THAT I CAN NOT TELL YOU WHAT THE BOX CONTAINS, I AM GOING TO MY CONDO ON 1/03/01. I'LL GET BACK WITH YOU IF I NEED SOME MORE HELP.
THANKS AGAIN, RUSHMAN

Old 12-20-00, 02:54 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
RUSHMAN, I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU SHOULD NOT TRY TO RUN A BRANCH CIRCUIT FROM YOUR PANEL IN NEW JERSEY TO YOUR CONDO IN JUPITER FLORIDA.

Boy would S1NUBER give you a few demeritts for the voltage drop on that one!

If it were me I would try to see if you have a service panel at the condo in Florida that may be a little closer to you electrical load, sure would help on the voltage drop?

John Nelson, Juicehead could you do the voltage drop calc on this one, my calculator keeps hitting error!

Smile you not on Candid Camera?

Just couldn't resist.

Wg

Old 12-20-00, 04:59 PM
J
I'm kinda busy, so I'm gonna ballpark that voltage drop based on similar although much shorter runs I've designed. For efficiency's sake I would purchase a step-up transformer for the line side, take it up to 13,200 volts. This will reduce the current and thus the voltage drop as E=I/R. Then I would run 3 parallel sets of 750kcmil per phase to a step-down transformer at the condo in Jupiter, Fla, returning your service to 120/240 single phase. The cost: $1,245,376 plus tax. Good luck, rushman. Hope that helps.

Old 12-20-00, 05:45 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Wow are we good or what? And to think for less than the National debt to boot?

Boy Rushman, I think I would sell the Condo and pay off the National debt instead. Might be cheaper!

Rushman, we are not picking on you, we just naturally lost our minds. It was inevitable, I think they call it fried brains, but fun anyway.

Wg

Old 12-20-00, 05:50 PM
J
...And all that just to install a switch/receptacle combo. Can't say you don't get top flight service here at the DIY forum!

Juice

Old 12-20-00, 08:51 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking hehe

Besides invaluable advice on this site, we get humor too. lol
sowewo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: