GFCI wiring question

Old 12-07-10, 08:09 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GFCI wiring question

I am wiring a new 20amp circuit in my laundry which will have 1 GFCI with 3 regular receptacles downstream.

I am not sure if the ground connection in the GFCI should be bypassed or connected. I know that the other receptacles will have the ground connection.

I am using 12/2 with ground wiring.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-10, 08:26 AM
R
I think you should connect it. In general, if there is a ground connection, connect it!

If you don't connect it, you would need to label that outlet "no equipment ground", IIRC.

GFCI and grounding protect you in different ways and don't conflict with each other. Grounding works by giving errant electricty a path to follow that's easier than going through your body. GFCI works by detecting escaping electricty (if the current going through the hot wire isn't the same as the current in the neutral, some is escaping), and shutting off the power if that happens.

Old 12-07-10, 08:32 AM
W
Received 15 Votes on 14 Posts
Gfci

Just to be clear, is the circuit grounded upstream from the GFCI back to the service panel?

Old 12-07-10, 08:37 AM
B
Yes. As I said I am using 12/2 with ground which will have the ground wire connected to the bus bar in the service panel.

Old 12-07-10, 10:16 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I am not sure if the ground connection in the GFCI should be bypassed or connected. I know that the other receptacles will have the ground connection.
Yes, it should be connected. It provides a second level of safety. May I ask why you thought it shouldn't be connected?

Old 12-07-10, 11:16 AM
B
There are articles and diagrams on some websites that suggest, ground in the GFCI receptacle does not have to be connected when wiring multiple receptacles protected by one GFCI.

One example is this one - Wiring Diagrams for Multiple Receptacles | Simple wiring diagrams for do-it-yourselfers

Old 12-07-10, 11:43 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Those diagrams are incorrect. The grounds always must be connected to each other, to the box if it is metal, and to the ground screw on the device (switch or receptacle).

Old 12-07-10, 02:15 PM
B
Thanks for your response. This clears things a lot.

Old 12-07-10, 05:15 PM
Received 64 Votes on 55 Posts
Those diagrams make me wonder who is responsible for the errant information. It's a DIY website and is definitely not correct.