Which is worse double tap breaker or Non CTL tandem

Old 12-09-10, 10:48 AM
Which is worse double tap breaker or Non CTL tandem

A buddy of mine has an electric panel on a house he just purchased. His inspection revealed two of his breakers have been double tapped (one of them looks like one of the runs off the breaker goes to an outlet for a spare refrig and the other goes to his kitchen counter 3 or 4 outlets.)

His panel does not accept tandems but my guess is the non ctl ones would fit as they do not have rejection tabs.

I know that neither is "code" but my question is which one is safer? I would think that the non ctl tandem route is safer. He plans to put in a subpanel in the future so he would then be able to move over a few circuits at that time.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-10, 11:03 AM
All it depending on what brand name the load centre it is I know Culter-Hammer and SqD are approved for two conductors on breakers { only under 30 amp size } but for the rest it will depending on the model itself.

But one thing about Home Inspectors some may understand the set up and some don't so therefore the best answer is just post the load centre model up here then we will go from there.

The breakers which they are not listed to take two conductors the best methold is do the pigtail and run single conductor to the screw on the breaker.

Merci.
Marc

Old 12-09-10, 11:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The double-tapped breaker can easily be made safer and code-compliant by wirenutting the two conductors together with a single 6" pigtail to the breaker terminal. Depending on which rooms the double-tapped circuits power they may or may not still be a technical code violation, but you have at least removed the improper termination at the breaker.

Do not use the unlisted breakers in a load center. They may seem like they fit okay, but it can cause some severe damage to the load center if it is not the correct breaker. A loose breaker can quickly expand to $1,500 in heat damage in the panel.

Old 12-09-10, 12:28 PM
I am not sure what the model number he has, I know it is a Murray panel and that it is not supposed to take tandems.

When you say to wire nut the conductors together and then run a pigtail to the breaker, you can do this inside the panel? Joining wires with nuts in a panel is allowed? Or does it have to be done in a junction box outside of the panel?

If done inside the panel should electrical tape also be used to avoid losening of the wire nut?

Old 12-09-10, 12:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Splicing is allowed inside the panel. Tape is never required with wire nuts.

Old 12-09-10, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by hammerdown22 View Post
I am not sure what the model number he has, I know it is a Murray panel and that it is not supposed to take tandems.
It depending on which series of Murray panel it is and I know few will take tandems breakers without issue but the key word is look at the the panel cover door it will describe the name and model numbers of breaker it can use.

Just one serious warning I know Murray panels are full of suprise due there are few series that the breakers can interchangeable with other brand name but I will not encorage it at all as Ibpooks mention loose breaker can end up damage the load centre pretty fast.

When you say to wire nut the conductors together and then run a pigtail to the breaker, you can do this inside the panel? Joining wires with nuts in a panel is allowed? Or does it have to be done in a junction box outside of the panel?

If done inside the panel should electrical tape also be used to avoid losening of the wire nut?
Typically in USA it is not a issue to run wirenut inside the load centre but in Cananda they disallow it .

As long you get the wirenut tighten down properly it don't need electrical tape at all.

Merci,
Marc

Old 12-09-10, 04:56 PM
Do not use the unlisted breakers in a load center. They may seem like they fit okay, but it can cause some severe damage to the load center if it is not the correct breaker. A loose breaker can quickly expand to $1,500 in heat damage in the panel.
Especially since Murray is an aluminum bus panel.