wiring probs

Old 12-19-00, 08:01 PM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

I am trying to wire a 220 v 20amp single phase outlet into an old dryer outlet. The new outlet has only 3 wire screws the dryer had red, white, black and ground/green. which wires go where and can this be done?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-00, 06:53 AM
s1nuber
Visiting Guest
Yes, this can be done. Your old dryer outlet had four connections; two 'hots' (black and red), one nuetral (white), and one grounding(green or bare). Your new outlet sounds like it is a line to line device. This means it has two brass posts, one green post, and only has three prong slots (one is horizontal, the opposite like a 't', and one hole). If this is true, just cap off the white wire with a wire nut. Connect red to one brass post, black to the other, and green/bare to green.

You must also ensure that you have a 20 amp two pole breaker on the new outlet. Do not re use the old 30 amp that was on your dryer circuit!

Old 12-20-00, 05:05 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Electric dryers are almost universally 30 amp circuits with 10/3 w/ground romex. I'm also curious why you specified to toss the old 30A breaker, s1nuber.

Jdew1, is this the receptacle recommended specifically by the appliance manufacturer?

Juice

Old 12-20-00, 05:49 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Juicehead he originally said he wanted to tap a 20 amp wire with a 20a 220v receptacle changing the use of the dryer run, I think. Hope he isn't planning on running a dryer and the 20a 220v receptacle on the same 10 ga. wire.

Wg

Old 12-20-00, 05:52 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Hey Jdew1, what are you doing with that old dryer receptacle, anyway? Will this be a new welding recep, or what?

Juice