Can House Wiring be Extended?

Old 12-11-10, 01:31 PM
Question Can House Wiring be Extended?

I am installing an over the stove Microwave oven. Currnetly, the power to the original hood fan is too low on the wall. (see photo http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...rMicrowave.jpg )I need to install an outlet in the cabinet above where the Microwave will be, but the wiring is to short to reach where the outlet will be placed. I have tried pulling the wiring, but there only seems to be a couple of inches of play in it.

The question is: Can I just extend the wiring using another piece of wire?

Frank

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-10, 01:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
In general wiring can be extended if you use accessible junction boxes, however it is somewhat moot in this case because you need a dedicated 20A circuit for the OTR microwave anyway. The existing shared hood circuit is inadequate to power the OTR microwave.

Old 12-11-10, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. This is a used unit that was given to us and has no manuals. I was unware that it needs a 20A circuit. I guess I will have even more work to do now.

Old 12-11-10, 02:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yeah, the code requires a dedicated circuit for any fixed-in-place appliance that uses more than 50% of a circuit's capacity. A 20A circuit can supply 2400W, so any OTR microwave greater than 1200W must be on a dedicated circuit. Most OTR units are in the 1600-1800W range, so even an old one probably needs it.

Old 12-11-10, 02:56 PM
Group Moderator
If you can, run the old wires along with the new circuit and get it into the new receptacle box in the cabinet.

Old 12-15-10, 12:28 PM
yes, you need new wring. if the line runs in the wall behind the range, you could put a splice in a box back there. to avoid that problem, i pre-installed a receptacle in the cabinet above my range. i even used a gfi.

Old 12-22-10, 07:16 AM
I suspect the extra wiring might not need channeling behind the wall, unless someone more technical than I knows a reason otherwise, but to avoid having the wires exposed, some cable covers (not the blocky ones, you can get something smarter called D-Line from Home Depot's website) might do the trick, though I think the length of wiring may be too short.