Chicken coop wireing diagram ?

Old 12-12-10, 12:42 PM
Question Chicken coop wireing diagram ?

Hello,

I need some advice on mapping out a new electrical circuit for my chicken coop. The framing is done, before I insulate I want to put in my boxes & wiring. Here is the basic wire
I am using and what I want in this circuit.
Using 12/2 & 12/3 Yellow Romex wire
4 inside outlets (one on each wall) One of these outlets I want controlled by a switch.
1 overhead light box, center of ceiling, contro1led by a switch
1 outdoor outlet, and 1 outdoor light(will require a switch)
3 Switches to left of door entry

Need help on where the the power feed should enter this circuit, and explain what type of wire loops need to be created ?

I am planning on feeding this circuit from the power panel in my barn..Using a 20Amp GFI/Arc Fault breaker, running
12/2 UF Cable thru conduit from the barn to the chicken coop. Any issues with running this whole circuit off of a GFI/Arc Fault breaker ?

I've done many of my own electrical projects in the past, but this is the first all new circuit.

Thanks for any and all information & replies,
Clem

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-10, 01:06 PM
Group Moderator
Can you draw a basic layout of the coop and upload it to photobucket or some other hosting site? That way we can mark it up and it will make sense.

An AFCI breaker is not required nor do I see a need for it. It does require GFCI protection. This can be a receptacle, blank device or breaker.
Agricultural buildings (including ones for poultry) are required to be wired in UF (gray) I am not sure if your inspector would require this if the cables are inside a finished wall or not. A quick call will determine that.
Your feed from the barn to the coop needs to be UF as well.

Old 12-12-10, 01:35 PM
I'd rather run everything with individual THHN/THWN conductors in PVC conduit with weatherproof boxes than to fight with UF. I hate working with UF.

It would be a much nicer looking installation with the conduit to boot.

Old 12-12-10, 08:07 PM
running 12/2 UF Cable thru conduit from the barn to the chicken coop
Why would you want to do this? It's a pretty expensive way to get power to the chicken coop. Would be much easier and less expensive to do what Furd has suggected, running THHN/THWN conductors in PVC conduit.

Old 12-12-10, 10:16 PM
Chicken Coop house ??

Ya better run everything in PVC I will not leave any exposed NM cable and the luminaires must be enclosed this is circital on this one and Oui you will need GFCI protection on this circuit and are you plan to add the heater down the road or not ??

The other thing you may want to add a timer to adjust the light level like day and nite time. { bright and dim and off }

For the receptales you denfity need to use the inuse cover that is the safest way you can use but put it where the chicken will not peck on it.

Merci.
Marc

Old 12-13-10, 07:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not too sure how "chicken savvy" you are, but the will peck at anything. They love styrofoam. They can reduce a styrofoam cup to nothing in a few minutes. So pecking is natural. Any exposed wiring will be subject to their actions. Totally enclosed (caged) lighting such as a heat lamp for winter on a thermocube is ideal. Run your receptacle wiring higher than normal, sort of like in a workshop and use the "in use" covers as Marc suggested. GFCI your lighting and your receptacles. I have general lighting on a wall switch, but depending on whether or not you are trying to force them to lay, you can put it on a timer. Only problem with timers as they go goofy when there is a power failure, and you have to reset it.
Individual THHN/THWN in pvc conduit is the best way to go. If you don't provide them a roost, they will roost anyway and anywhere they can, most likely crapping on your receptacles, so the pvc makes it easier to clean and waterproof.

Old 12-13-10, 07:25 PM
chicken coops are CORROSIVE LOCATIONS!!!!!!! this is a whole new field.

Old 12-14-10, 06:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
So Justin, aside from it being a corrosive location, which is a given, do you have any advice for the OP?

Old 12-14-10, 07:10 PM
none that wasn't already said.

Old 12-18-10, 09:18 PM
Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the replies and info, very helpful !!
I started wiring the coop today, decided to not put in a switched outlet, this was complicating the setup and is not needed. Pretty basic run, going to use a 20Amp switch at the coop entry point for the main cutoff, GFI outlet, attached to 3 other outlets. All wires are not exposed, covering the studding with plywood. Using THHN/THWN conductors in PVC conduit for the run from the barn to the coop.

Clem