Light Switch

Old 12-19-00, 11:01 PM
IOmasterOI
Visiting Guest
Cool

I want to install a new light switch in a dry wall, it is right next to a 2 x 4. I could cut a rectangle for the switch box to fit, but how do I make it so the box stays inside?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-00, 05:50 AM
Visiting Guest
Go to a home supply center or hdwe store and get a "old work" box. Mark the hole using the box as a templat and
cut it out. The box has a retainer on the top and bottom to keep it from falling inside the wall and a srew attached to
(ears) diagonally in 2 corners that make contact with the drywall to keep it from pulling out.
good luck sr

Old 12-20-00, 01:38 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
If you buy a remodle box designed to use a pair of madison hangers then being close to the stud should not hurt the installation.

If the remodle box you buy has built in wings for the support of that box read the following;

When you cut the hole in the drywall to install the remodle box SR is talking about be sure to keep a distance of at least 2" between the edge of that hole and the stud in the wall. If you get too close the support mechinism of the remodle box can run into the stud and reduce the ability of the supports of the box to operate.

Just another thought

Wg