portable generator to transfer switch

Old 12-12-10, 05:46 PM
portable generator to transfer switch

Hi,

I have some knowledge of wiring as I have completely rewired my house recently. I own a Generac 8000 running watt generator and was planning on installing a Reliance transfer switch. Checked with the city and they will issue a permit and do an inspection if I install it. The more I read in my generator manual and online the manual for the transfer switch I may be getting confused. Here is the exact wording from the generator manual:
"Use this receptacle to operate 120 Volt AC, 60 Hz, single phase
loads requiring up to 3600 watts (3.6 kW) of power at 30 Amps or
240 Volt AC, 60 Hz, single phase loads requiring up to 7200 watts
(7.2 kW) of power. The outlet is protected by either a 30 Amp
(8.0kW) circuit breaker"

Am I correct that this receptacle would be two legs with each 120 volt lines for a total of 7200 watts?
If this is correct then a Reliance transfer switch that is rated for 7500 watts would be OK. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Harlan

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-10, 10:30 PM
Yes it can be done but just keep in your mind the total wattage will count both legs so each leg for your unit is 3750 is max watts per leg so you have some leeway on 120 volt circuits but 240 volts is not a issue but just watch the total watage on both 120 and 240 volts circuits and try to keep it both legs balnced much as possible { they work the best when you keep it balanced much as possible }

you will need 30 amp rated inlet or related items it to meet the requirement on this set up.

The last thing I just want to pass the tip along the way make sure you keep the generator exhaust away from the house much as possible for safety sake.

Merci.
Marc

Old 12-13-10, 09:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Harlan View Post
Am I correct that this receptacle would be two legs with each 120 volt lines for a total of 7200 watts?
If this is correct then a Reliance transfer switch that is rated for 7500 watts would be OK. Is this correct?
Yes that's correct. It's basically telling you in a roundabout way that the generator can only reach its full capacity of 7200W if the load is balanced between the two 120V legs at 3600W each or if it's a pure 240V load up to 7200W. You couldn't have 4000W on one leg and 2000W on the other leg even though the total is only 6000W, because the 4000W would trip the breaker on leg one.

Old 12-13-10, 03:09 PM
Is there any reason why you would not be able to use it with a manual transfer switch.

I had sent an email to customer support at Generac and the person that answer said you could not use it with a transfer switch but I guess she was thinking an automatic switch.

Thanks,

Harlan

Old 12-13-10, 03:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
She must have been thinking about an auto switch. The machine will work just fine with a manual switch. Just wire your 7500W switch to a 30A four pin inlet and get the matching cord set to attach the generator to the switch. It should be no problem from there.

Old 12-13-10, 03:58 PM
Thanks Ben, I thought that she was not thinking about a manual switch.

Old 12-13-10, 06:13 PM
Smile

isnt reliance the sister company to fpe? also a manual transfer switch or interlock would work fine.

Old 12-13-10, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by Justin Smith View Post
isnt reliance the sister company to fpe? also a manual transfer switch or interlock would work fine.
AFAIK the Reliance is not tied to anything with FPE at all.

Now the next answer you ask about the transfer switch or interlock that part will work fine however let me give you a head up some inspectors or local codes may not allowed interlock cam at all { I know majorty of the area in Wisconsin do not allowed interlock cam which it will fit on the breaker box } so check with your inspector before you buy that so save yourself a bit of headache.

Merci,
Marc

Old 12-13-10, 07:06 PM
isnt reliance the sister company to fpe?
This is off topic of the thread, but it is interesting if you have a FPE panel in your home. At one time, Reliance Electric owned FPE and the sister company, Toledo Scale, did a lot of safety recall changeouts of recalled FPE industrial breakers (not residential). This would have been in late 1970s and early 1980s IIRC.

1979 Reliance Electric acquired the [bankrupt] Federal Pacific Electric Company from UV Industries.
1981: 17 February 1981: Federal Pacific announced that it would voluntarily replace or field modify certain models of its [predominantly commercial and industrial] molded case circuit breaker line. [No recall, no field repair was offered for residential equipment.] Funds were set aside for this replacement [but may not have been expended.]

1980: June 1980, Reliance Electric and FPE brought suit against UV Industries [a liquidating trust which previously handled the assets of the bankrupt FPE company.] for damages of $345 million or for rescission of the previous sale by UV of the FPE line to Reliance, referring to deceptive practices which went on for years on obtaining UL listing for FPE products.
If you want to read more, check this link.

History of the Federal Pacific Electric Company & History of FPE Stab-Lok Electrical Panels & Circuit Breakers