Wiring a GFCI plug, light & fan in bathroom.

Old 12-12-10, 05:08 PM
Wiring a GFCI plug, light & fan in bathroom.

I am re doing my bathroom & need some help with the wiring. There originally was the old style plug that you could only plug a razor into. I want to change that to a GFCI. I also want to wire up a light fixture & switch and a bathroom fan on a seperate switch. I have a bit of electrical knowledge but not enough for this job.

Any help is greatly appriciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-10, 09:34 PM
If I recall it correct that the shaver socket will have a isolaited transfomer there so when you pull it out you will see the transfomer so just ditch that.

Before we can go further Do you know what amparage the circuit you have in the bathroom now ?? it should be either 15 or 20 amp { per modern code in Cananda will required 20 amp ( I will check with one of the Canadaian electrician to confirm this part ) }

you will need either two or three gang switch box depending on which style of switch you want.

Merci.
Marc

Old 12-13-10, 01:01 AM
There is a 15 amp breaker in the panel for the bathroom. What is a gang switch box? Is that a box that you can put more then one swicth in?

Old 12-13-10, 06:48 AM
Group Moderator
A "gang" box describes how many devices can be installed into it.
Single gang = One device, Two gang = two devices, etc.

My suggestion to you is use the existing bathroom circuit for your lights and bath fan and run a new 20 amp circuit for your GFCI.

Old 12-13-10, 10:26 AM
Ok so maybe I should give you some more info. I am also putting in a whirlpool tub & probably infloor heating for my ceramic tile floor. how much of all this can go on my 15 amp circuit & what do I have to do to wire up the rest of it? Diagrams will be great if you have any.

Old 12-13-10, 10:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The tub is going to require one or two dedicated circuits, depending on whether the tub has a built-in heater.

The flooring would depend on how many watts of heating you are adding.

Without knowing what is already on the existing 15 amp circuit we cannot tell what would be safe to add. It would be better to add new circuits and leave the existing circuit alone.

Old 12-13-10, 02:44 PM
Well I will tell you what has been wired to that 15 amp circuit. There was a light & the old razor plug in. That was it. I want to leave the light of course change to a GFI, bathroom fan, possibly in floor heat & the whirlpool tub. Not sure if it has a heater or not but I will check. It is a cheap one so my guess would be no.

Old 12-13-10, 05:18 PM
Exclamation

He cannot add to the circut per american code because it is only 2 wire!!!!!!!!

Old 12-13-10, 05:43 PM
My wire is 14-2. A white wire, black wire & ground. I had my upstairs bathroom done last year. My fatherinlaws electrician wired up a light, fan, & GFCI plug. Not sure how he did it but he wired all that to one 15 amp breaker. Maybe he did it wrong but it works. I wish I could get him back here to do the downsatirs bathroom but he is too busy.

Did he wire the upstairs bathroom wrong?

Old 12-13-10, 06:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Don't know about the CEC but in the US under the NEC the circuit for the bathroom receptacle would need to be 20 amp.

Old 12-14-10, 01:27 AM
Ok so lets assume that I have a 20 amp breaker. I can put one in if I need to. I have replaced bad ones before so i know how to do that..

The tub does not have a heater.

I want to install infloor heating to cover 60 sqft. Don't know if that heps or not.

So where do I go from here?

Old 12-14-10, 10:51 AM
Group Moderator
While the bathroom is grandfathered to bring it up to current code you would install a new 20a GFCI protected circuit for the receptacles. The existing 15 a could be used for lighting. Depending on the load of the under floor heating the existing 15a circuit might also be used for the under floor heat. The hot tub would need its own circuit based on it's specs.

A variation on this if the underfloor heating needed more then 5-7 amps would be to put the lights on the 20-a bath receptacle service and use the existing 15a circuit only for heat.

Edit: If the existing circuit is not grounded then it can not be modified, extended, or used for another purpose. You could add a ground wire but it would be as easy to run new, grounded cable. See Justin's post below and my reply to it.

Last edited by ray2047; 12-14-10 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-14-10, 02:41 PM
the way the op worded it, there is no egc.

Old 12-14-10, 03:38 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Justin Smith View Post
the way the op worded it, there is no egc.
And since it had a razor plug that would be more evidence of no ground.

Simone0414 If you don't have a ground wire or metal conduit continious to the panel you can not extend or modify this circuit. If you have BX it is iffy if that will provide a good ground.

Old 12-14-10, 05:23 PM
There is a ground wire in the 14-2 wire that comes from the panel to the bathroom. Are you refering to a ground wire over & above that?

What is an egc & what is BX?

Old 12-14-10, 05:32 PM
An egc is an equipment grounding conductor.
bx is an old type of cable with 2+ cloth covered wires and a metal jacket. (some in my garage had three)

Old 12-14-10, 05:51 PM
Group Moderator
There is a ground wire in the 14-2 wire that comes from the panel to the bathroom. Are you refering to a ground wire over & above that?
No, your just fine. That is all you need.

Old 12-14-10, 06:47 PM
Group Moderator
What is the total watts of your floor heat? IS it 120 volt?

Old 12-15-10, 03:43 AM
I don't know. I haven't bought it yet. I haven't decided it I am going with infloor yet. I have gotten one price so far & it's more then I want to spend. I am still looking for a better price on a kit.

Is it possible to just tell me how to wire up the stuff I know I am putting in? Light, fan, GFCI & tub & give me suggestions on what I probably will need for infloor? Even if you can't tell me about infloor the rest would be a big help. I have been watching how-to's on u tube & I can't find one with enough detail.

Old 12-15-10, 11:40 AM
Well I stopped into my local hardware store & was speaking with one of my friends who works there & told him about the wiring I need to do. He offered to make me a diagram of how to wire up the light, switch & GFCI. So I took him up on his offer. Wired it up following his diagram & it works!!! I asked him about wiring the Fan, tub & infloor heat. He said I should be able to wire up the fan to the exsisting circuit. The tub should come with instructions on how to wire it up & most likely will require it's own circuit. The infloor heat may be able to run off the exsisting circuit if the amps are not too much.

I most likely will be able to pick his brain when I need to wire up the rest of the stuff.

Thanks very much for trying to help. I appriciate everyones input. If I run into problems I know where I can get some help online & in person.

Thanks again.

Old 12-15-10, 12:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just for reference, I recently did in floor heating in a tile bathroom roughly 5' x 9' installed over a concrete slab. The floor heater cable was roughly 400W and easily shared a 120V 15A circuit with the lighting and fan. The price of the materials for the floor heating system with programmable thermostat was $400-500 if I recall.

Old 12-15-10, 12:44 PM
although it is too late, a hospital grade gfi is a good investment in a bathroom.