wire electric fire place

Old 12-12-10, 07:10 PM
wire electric fire place

I have a electric fire place that calls for 15 amp circuit breaker which I have,but all the other outlets are on it. when they are all being used the circuit blows.I want to run seperate line to box which is in basement .It wont be hard I can drill hole in floor behind fireplace and the box is there .I dont want to mess with the outlet that is there or put a new one in.I want to be able to plug fireplace in the same as you would an extention cord .What kind of receptical can I use on that end of line that will be safe and what size line to box

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-10, 07:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You cannot put a cord on the end of the non-metallic cable. You need to install the wiring properly and install a receptacle.

For a 15 amp circuit you can use #14-2 cable.

Old 12-12-10, 08:46 PM
Just run new circuit for your electric fireplace the 14-2 NM will work just fine on this circuit.

And I agree with PCboss on this matter.

Merci,
Marc

Old 12-13-10, 06:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If your new receptacle is near one of the others, I would install a single receptacle rather than a duplex so nothing else can be plugged in at the same time.

Old 12-13-10, 06:43 AM
Group Moderator
You could install a floor mounted receptacle (in a box) pretty easy. Or install a surface mounted box (either wiremold or a 4x4" box), install a mud ring and mount a receptacle there. Doing it correctly will not take that much effort, just a little know how.