Fixture Crossbar is it nessary

Old 12-12-10, 09:37 PM
Fixture Crossbar is it nessary

I bought a cheap fixture to replace a broken one (I dropped the glass) and the crossbar does not line up (Well it does but the fixture screws block it from sitting flush) However it will line up and mount with out it so can I mount it directly to the J-Box? I really want to get this project over but I don't want my fixture to fall on me in the middle of the night (It is a standard fixture and the box is plastic)
Thanks
PS Do I have 90C wiring? It says use only 90C wiring. My place was built around 1994-6 (It was built in stages, A big village of apartment houses)

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-10, 05:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Any way you could post a pic of this? Your description lacks vividness. Is there a jbox in the hole, now? The crossbar mounts flat to the jbox and the fixture mounts to the jbox. However, if your screw holes line up with the jbox holes, you can mount it directly to the jbox. This isn't a ceiling fan, is it? You must have a fan rated box in order to do that. You should have 90c wiring in that time frame. You can look on the casing to verify that.

Old 12-13-10, 06:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The insulation was upgraded on non-metallic cable around 1986/7. Your wiring is most likely 90 degree rated.

I agree that a picture would help. Most times the mounting holes in the bracket are slightly different that the box holes.

Old 12-13-10, 06:14 AM
Group Moderator
Most fixtures I have installed, if the fixture will attach directly to the box, that is just fine.

Old 12-14-10, 03:57 AM
Yes the fixture will attach directly to the box. and what I meant is the crossbar will line up but I have to take out the longer fixture screws and when it is screwed down I can no longer screw in the fixture screws as they will now be blocked by the plastic part on the box