Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

GFCI Outlet in combination with a GFCI breaker or AFCI breaker

Old 12-13-10, 10:43 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I currently have GFCI outlets in my bathroom and kitchen. I want to upgrade some of the breakers in the service panel with AFCI breakers. Are there any complications if I want to use a AFCI breaker and a GFCI outlet?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-10, 11:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 83 Votes on 71 Posts
No issues, the two are supposed to play fine together.

Old 12-13-10, 11:13 AM
I
Thanks pcboss.

Also just for future reference.....If I were to install GFCI breakers, this should eliminate the need for the GFCI outlets, correct? In this case, could i just run regular duplex outlets with the GFCI breaker, and maybe even a GFCI/AFCI breaker.

Just bought a house, kind of a newbie to the DIY stuff, but learning more everyday....This electrical stuff is so interesting!

Old 12-13-10, 11:20 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by InNeedofHeat View Post
If I were to install GFCI breakers, this should eliminate the need for the GFCI outlets, correct?
Correct, they perform exactly the same function. GFCI breakers are quite a bit more expensive than receptacles, so it's best to use them only when needed for special applications.

Old 12-13-10, 11:25 AM
I
Thanks Ibpooks.

I noticed they were more expensive, i was just thinking down the road if I were to add more outlets to that circuit then I could always get the GFCI breaker and cover all the outlets without having to buy quite a few GFCI outlets.

Thanks everyone, I'm sure i will have many more electrical questions in the future.

Nick B

Old 12-13-10, 11:41 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
A GFCI receptacle can provide protection to all downstream receptacles when they are wired to the LOAD terminals.

Old 12-13-10, 11:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can add additional receptacles from the LOAD terminals of the existing GFI receptacles and they will be GFI protected. No need to change to a breaker or add a GFI device everywhere. The GFI device is also typically easier to reset since it is closer to the point of use.

A combination AFCI/GFI does not provide the same level of GFI protection as the GFI receptacle or breaker. The combo AFCI/GFI unit provides Class B 30 mA protection, while the GFI breaker or device is Class A 5 mA protection.

Old 12-13-10, 11:52 AM
I
Thanks guys, I have no plans of putting the breaker in, just a theoretical haha.
PC: So because the combo AFCI/GFI provides a lower level of protection, I could just use the GFI recepticals(or one and then regular recepticals downtream) , and an AFCI breaker for better protection?

Old 12-13-10, 12:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes you will be able to effectively overlay the Class B GFI/AFCI with a Class A GFI device.

Old 12-13-10, 05:35 PM
Tips:
stay out of the panel unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing!

Do not use cheap receptacles! i use spec grade ones, and they work great! I reccomend hospital grades in kitchens and bathrooms with teenage girls!

Old 12-20-10, 05:37 PM
J
A couple of points here....there really is no such thing as a GFCI/AFCI breaker......there are two types of AFCI's the old type and the new type that handles certain grounding faults , not to be confused with a GFCI breaker...The Arc Faults are to keep your house from buring down, the GFCI to keep you from getting shocked. There is some confusion on this since the news ones are commonly refered to as "combo" breakers. Also, with arc faults you need your wiring to be spot on, no sharing neutrals etc. and if you are not sure of your wiring stay away from adding them unless you get a contractor.