Electrical terminal plug replacement.

Old 12-15-10, 11:01 AM
Electrical terminal plug replacement.

I guess some here have run into this problem and for the life of me I can't remember the answer. I have to replace a older plug on a appliance and I am changing the terminal plug to a "newer" type with the wide blade ( the old plug was a straight balde). Here is my question, it is silly but I CRS on it. Which wire goes to the wide blade on the replacement plug?
Also I was going to change a old plug on a electric typewriter ( remember them!) and found that the wires inside on BLUE, GREEN, and BROWN. Now, Green is safe to assume is ground but what colors would the Blue and Brown and correspond to?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-10, 11:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The neutral wire goes to the wide blade, hot to the narrow blade, ground to the round pin. The colors you listed are common for a European cord: blue = neutral, brown = hot, green/yellow = ground.

Old 12-15-10, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator
I just noticed the NE Conus thing...sounds like prior military? Be careful with appliances purchased overseas!

Old 12-15-10, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
I just noticed the NE Conus thing...sounds like prior military? Be careful with appliances purchased overseas!
actually, i have cut alot of cords with the blu/brown thing. it makes me wonder why 2 hot colors are legal.

Old 12-15-10, 01:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Appliances and their attached cords are not premises wiring, and therefore are not subject to NEC rules. They are approved by UL, CSA or similar lab (unless it is a Chinese ripoff of a North American or European brand name in which case anything goes).

Old 12-15-10, 03:14 PM
Gunguy;
WELL aware of that, but thanks for noticing and bringing it to my attention. Thanks all for the responses. MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HOPEFULLY A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-15-10, 05:03 PM
I bought a set of mini lights at dollartree and typed the ul number into the ul website and it was never found. my dad also bought a plug strip and it almost burned the place down. i do not have afis.

Old 12-16-10, 04:49 AM
Justin;
pardon my ignorance, but what is "afis"? Shorthand or typing glitch. Never saw that before.

Old 12-16-10, 01:14 PM
Arc fault interrupter. funny thing is, that also happened at my grandparents' and left a huge black streak up the wall.

Old 12-16-10, 05:48 PM
Thank you, now I know. Hopefully I will never have a blackstreak up my wall!