neutral bond generator-transfer switch...another question

Old 12-16-10, 04:04 PM
Question neutral bond generator-transfer switch...another question

Hiya. So, I'm researching the neutral-bond issue (connecting new Honda gen to a manual transfer switch). I see the topic is talked to death. Either modify the gen to float neutral, or use switched-neutral transfer. Listed under FAQ on the GenTran website they also suggest this option:

The easiest solution is to lift the ground wire coming from the generator inside the transfer switch, and secure it with a wire nut, by itself. This eliminates the loop.
Could someone comment technically on why this is safe?

Here is the link:
Gentran General FAQ

Thnks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-10, 06:06 PM
The equipment ground is to provide a low impedance (AC resistance) path back to the energy source (i.e. the generator) to facilitate the tripping of the generator's circuit breaker in case of a fault between the "hot" conductor(s) and any metallic surface of equipment connected to the energy source.

By removing the equipment grounding connection between the generator and the transfer panel the ONLY protection you have removed is between the generator and the panel, essentially the interconnecting cable, All the house loads, now fed from the transfer panel will still operate normally, tripping the circuit breaker in the transfer panel under ground fault conditions.

The ground fault circuit breaker in the generator will still trip if there is an unbalanced condition among the three current-carrying (hot, hot and neutral) conductors between the generator and the load.

Old 12-17-10, 07:13 AM
Great. Thanks for the clear explanation.

So, would it be equivalent to keep a short adapter cable available (L14-30 ends with ground wire omitted) for use with a neutral-bonded generator? This would give portable flexibility to use any transfer switch safely with any generator (bonded or floated), and without having to alter either.

Last edited by D.I.M.; 12-17-10 at 08:42 AM.
Old 12-17-10, 06:53 PM
would it be acceptable to take the ground wire off the flange in the transfer switch?

Old 12-17-10, 07:25 PM
Just remove the equipment grounding conductor from the inlet connection inside the transfer panel. Be sure that you do not subject the interconnecting cable to abuse like driving over the cable.