Is it ok to run wire like this

Old 12-17-10, 05:56 AM
Is it ok to run wire like this

This is in an unfinished utility room which will never be sheetrocked. The otherside of the wall is a finished basement. I could not run the wire any further through the floor joists (as there are 4 or 5 of those engineered floor joists in a row) and then down through the top plate as I normally would. So I instead had to staple to the floor joist and then loop it down to the framing. See the picture below. It is secured both before and after the bend with staples.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/...2/IMG_2987.jpg

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/...2/IMG_2988.jpg

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-10, 06:09 AM
Wiring

When you need to drill through thicker framing, use a longer drill bit.

Old 12-17-10, 06:18 AM
That is not the problem. The problem is they are engineered floor joists. They look like 2X3's with plywood standing on end in between them so they look like an "I" from a cutaway profile. In this case there are I think 4 of then or IIII If I were to drill into these and then up, I would be boring through the 2X3 section and into the plywood section from the bottom up which would destroy the structual integrity of these, especially since these are load supporting. Is it ok to have the wire run as shown? Or is it not safe.
As I said it is an unfinished section that will never be finished, the room contains oil tank/boiler etc.

Old 12-17-10, 08:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it's an unfinished room 8' off the floor it's probably okay. A picky inspector might not approve it, but it's generally above the "subject to damage" area.

What I would do in that sort of situation is run the wire around the inside corner into the other wall then up into the ceiling where there is no obstruction.

Old 12-17-10, 09:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Given the conditions you have to work with and the fact that the flanges cannot be drilled I think your solution is reasonable.

Old 12-17-10, 11:31 AM
I reran the wires. Made a right turn at the ceiling to a carrying beam that was about 3 feet to the right. There was already a hole drilled into the side of the beam and then into the bottom so the holes connected) which had a 12 guage wire running though it so I was able to loop it through this and then down the wall stud and then through the studs and around the corner. Little more work but looks alot cleaner.

Old 12-17-10, 10:40 PM
picture links don't work...................