wiring in new wall

Old 12-20-00, 04:43 PM
J
Jst
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm building a wall in my basement that will cover a 6x6 wood support post. The finished side of the 4 inch wall will be flush with the post and the post will stick out a little bit on the other side. My question is how do I run electrical wiring from one side of this post to the other? I'm not sure it's safe to drill through the post (would that weaken it too much?), and running the wire around the back of the post doesn't sound like a good idea either. What would be recommended?

Old 12-20-00, 04:57 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
You could frame your wall aroung the back side and run your wires within that new wrap around part of the wall.

If the area is not subject to physical damage then you are allowed to run around the surface of the supporting beam or post.

If you are concerned of physical damage then think about running a piece of flex or sealtite around the exposed section of the wiring.

DO NOT DRILL A BEAM OR SUPPORTING POST ! Both the UBC and the CABO building codes forbid drilling or knotching a supporting beam, unless a registered engineer calculates the design and accepts responsibility for that drilling of that beam.

Good Luck

Wg

Old 12-20-00, 08:37 PM
J
Jst
WG--Framing around the post won't work because it's too close to the water heater. What do you mean by sealtite or flex? I don't think there's any chance of physical damage though. Also, do I just notch the drywall on the back side of this wall to let the romex come out and go around the post?
Thanks for the quick reply.

Old 12-21-00, 01:31 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Yes just knotch out the drywall to allow the wire to pass through the drywall and then back in.

Sealtite or flex or even non metallic tubing will work to sleeve that Romex to give it some protection so that brooms rakes etc. can not damage the Romex.

Those mentioned above are a flexible type of conduit that you can buy a short piece of and just slide or the Romex like a piece of hose, only designed to be used for the purpose you describe. Be sure to buy connectors to install on each end of the flexible conduit so that any sharp edge of the flexible conduit is shielded from the Romex to avoid cutting the Romex.

Good Luck

Wg

Old 12-21-00, 05:47 PM
J
Jst
Wg--Thanks for the info. That will be helpful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: