120 VOLT CIRCUIT?

Old 12-20-00, 01:27 PM
Brent Turner
Visiting Guest
I am confused about connecting a 120 volt circuit up to the the circuit breaker panel. The books that I have been looking at show that the neutral goes to the neutral bus bar and the ground goes to the ground bus bar. I looked at my circuit panel last night and the neutral and grounds were twisted and inserted in a single set screw under the ground bus bar. This has me confused.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-00, 03:13 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
At a main panel, all the neutrals and grounds are connected together. The instructions you have are very important, but only for a subpanel.

Old 12-20-00, 05:12 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
To clarify, grounds and neutrals are supposed to be joined to a common point ONLY at your "service equipment". This is a very specific term used in the NEC, meaning the enclosure housing your main service disconnecting means. If your breaker panel is the very first thing after your electric meter, and the main breaker in it kills your whole house, and there is no main disconnect upstream, then your breaker panel is your service equipment. If, for instance, you had a breaker panel in your garage that is fed from your main panel, this would be considered a "sub-panel", and must have a separate ground bar and neutral bar, and the ground and neutral conductors must NOT be connected to the same point. Hope that helps.

Juice

Old 12-21-00, 04:06 PM
Brent Turner
Visiting Guest
John and Juice,

Thanks for your replys. Since the ground and neutral are to be combined at the main panel, does it matter which bus bar (ground or neutral) is used? Thanks for your help.

Old 12-21-00, 07:29 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
If you are connecting in a main service panel then no you can connect to either bar.

If you are connecting in a sub panel then you must separate the neutrals and groundings.

Just check the two neutral bar and the grounding bar and see if there is a metal jumper joining the two bars together making those to bars the same as one bar. If this panel is a main then the jumper will be there. This metal jumper may be in the form of a metal bar rapped in plastic and run behind the buss that the breakers plugs into.

Hope this helps

Wg