Messed Up Wiring

Old 12-19-10, 02:14 PM
Messed Up Wiring

I have 2 lights controlled by 3 switches. I would like switch '1' and switch '3' to control light 'A' and isolate switch '2' to light 'B'. The linked image shows the wiring and how the switches currently activate the lights ('-'/off & '+'/on). Any help appreciated. Thanks.

WIRING1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-10, 06:06 PM
Group Moderator
I'm not really sure what to make with your diagram. I'm guessing the boxes marked 1-3 are the switches but what are the rectangles? Are they the cables? Where are the lights? Where are the white wires/neutrals? Are all three switches in the same box?

Old 12-19-10, 06:35 PM
Group Moderator
Is this currently a multi switch circuit with two 3-way and one 4-way switch controlling all the lights simultaneously? If so there should also be white wires on your diagram. Use a gray background so we can see the white wires.

Old 12-19-10, 07:06 PM
I'm not really sure what to make with your diagram. I'm guessing the boxes marked 1-3 are the switches but what are the rectangles? Are they the cables? Where are the lights? Where are the white wires/neutrals? Are all three switches in the same box?

Sorry for the diagram. The boxes marked 1-3 are the switches. The rectangles at the bottom are the cables. The lights are 'A' and 'B'. All the whites and neutrals separately tie-off (are not connected to anything). Switch 2 and 3 are in the same box. Switch 1 is separate. As an example the 'B' light is on when all 3 switches are off (-) and the 'B' light is on when the '1' switch is on and the '2' + '3' switches are off..

Old 12-19-10, 07:24 PM
New (Better?) Diagram

WIRING2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 12-19-10, 08:41 PM
Group Moderator
I would like switch '1' and switch '3' to control light 'A'....Switch 2 and 3 are in the same box. Switch 1 is separate.
So you want light A controlled by a 3 way switch, correct? Switch 2 would control light B, correct? Lets concentrate on light A for now. We can do light B later.

I am going to call the double gang box DG and the single gang box SG. Assuming above is correct the simplest would be a 3-conductor cable between switch box DG and SG. I can't tell if you do from the diagram. You would also need power in to one of the boxes, either DG or SG and power out from the other box to light A. I see no 2-conductor cable in box SG which would be needed either for power in or power out.

Note there are other ways to wire a 3-way but to avoid confusion I just picked one. If the three conductor cable from SG goes to light A and one of the 3-conductor cables in DG goes to Light A there is another way to wire it. Let us know the cables at light A and we can better help.

Old 12-19-10, 10:44 PM
I can't see anyway to control light 'B' independently of switches 1 & 3 except with a separate power source to switch '2'.

Old 12-19-10, 11:22 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by rjames4434 View Post
I can't see anyway to control light 'B' independently of switches 1 & 3 except with a separate power source to switch '2'.
Lets concentrate on light A. Please answer my questions in my previous post.

Old 12-20-10, 06:23 AM
Ray,

I think I know which cables go to which light but to be absolutely certain I'll craw into the attic tomorrow after work. I should post around 9pm EST. Thanks for taking the time to help.

rjames4434

Old 12-20-10, 06:30 PM
Ray,

I have posted a new picture to Flickr. Let me know if this addresses your questions. Thanks

WIRING3 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 12-20-10, 06:52 PM
Group Moderator
Are the blue 3-conductor cables?

Has this ever worked the way you want it to work?

It may require some additional cables but below is a crude diagram of one way it could be hooked up.

Last edited by ray2047; 12-20-10 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-21-10, 02:01 PM
Ya better do that before nec2011 is adopted! You do not want to have to run new wires for a never-going-to be used neutrals at a spot.