Drilling perpendicularly through joists

Old 12-22-10, 10:10 AM
Drilling perpendicularly through joists

My apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

I need to run a new circuit to my attic. Iíve selected an interior wall as my intended target. From the basement, the first floor interior wall sits on 3, 2x8 sistered joists. I can overcome this by drilling sideways from the basement into the joists and gaining access to the first floor. However, I am unsure about gaining access to the second floor. If this same pattern repeats itself (where the second floor interior wall rests on 2x8 sistered joists), how is it possible to gain access to the second floor? I obviously canít drill sideways at this junction. Is drilling perpendicularly through the joists advisable (I canít imagine it is)? Whatís standard and safe practice?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-10, 10:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just use a long bit and try to angle it through the joists best you can. Sometimes it's a little better to just re-route the wire to a different wall cavity where there's not so much lumber to deal with.

Old 12-22-10, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by ibpooks View Post
Just use a long bit and try to angle it through the joists best you can. Sometimes it's a little better to just re-route the wire to a different wall cavity where there's not so much lumber to deal with.
As a side question, how does an electrician know what wall to use? As a DIY, I can rip open walls and take my time....but I can't imagine a professional electrician has this same luxury, how do they deal with this type of stuff?

Old 12-22-10, 11:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Generally ask the customer if they want to pay for more labor to do it with the least damage to drywall or if they're okay with cutting into the walls and having to repair it themselves or hire a drywall man. Other options might prevail too like running wire up the outside of the house, finding an existing chase usually by plumbing, or cutting into an area that is not noticeable like the back of a closet.

Old 12-22-10, 12:16 PM
ohhhhhhhhhhh what's a chase?

Old 12-22-10, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator
A chase is a framed in and finished section, often in closets or similar, where electrical wiring, ducting, and plumbing are run between floors.

Old 12-22-10, 01:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Often the plumbers are rather aggressive with the hole saw and sawzall so you can snake a cable up next to a drain/vent pipe that has gratuitous margins around it. This doesn't work so well in newer houses where all the penetrations between floors are foamed and caulked.