NO power to dryer outlet

Old 12-22-10, 12:30 PM
Post NO power to dryer outlet

Hey, all. New to the forums. So take it easy on me since I'm surely not an electrical expert, or even novice!

My wife discovered that our dryer wouldn't work this morning. Sure enough, not a sound when i checked.

So, first off i checked the 3-prong outlet with my multimeter ... and no reading at all. zip. nada. Also, the breaker is NOT tripped. turned on and off a few times with no results. I tested a few other outlets as a base, and they proved OK.

Again, no expert here. Did i check the outlet properly? (both hots, then a hot to neutral -- no readings). Did NOT remove outlet cover. Don't want to screw anything up. But, i'd like to check to see if there are any burn marks, etc. Safe to do so?

I'm no expert, so if anybody has any ideas what may be wrong, i'm happy to listen..

Thanks!
Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-10, 12:41 PM
Group Moderator
Is this a 30 amp receptacle (outlet) or 15 amp? Is it a gas or electric dryer? Do you have any other 240 volt appliances in the house? Range?

Old 12-22-10, 12:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you have no voltage hot-hot and no voltage hot-neutral and you know the meter is good, then you probably have a bad breaker stuck in the off/tripped position. The internal mechanism can be tripped even if the handle still moves. As long as you have a reasonably modern panel, the 30A DP breaker should be about $10 to replace, so it's a cheap test.

As long as the breaker is off and you detect no voltage in any slots, removing the receptacle cover should be okay. I doubt that the problem is there though because it would be very unlikely for all the conductors to malfunction at the same time.

e: good thought Ironhand! I didn't even think about a gas dryer.

Old 12-22-10, 12:45 PM
Hi, Ironhand. 30 amp, electric dryer.
Don't know about the range. Outlet not visible.

Old 12-22-10, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by ibpooks View Post
If you have no voltage hot-hot and no voltage hot-neutral and you know the meter is good, then you probably have a bad breaker stuck in the off/tripped position. The internal mechanism can be tripped even if the handle still moves. As long as you have a reasonably modern panel, the 30A DP breaker should be about $10 to replace, so it's a cheap test.
why waste $10 on a new breaker when you can pull the panel cover off and check the voltage on the terminals of the breaker. Thats a free test since he said he owns a multimeter.

Old 12-22-10, 12:54 PM
Thanks for your thoughts, ibpooks.
I'll take a look at the cover real quick to see what issues lie beneath!

Also, this will be my first time replacing a breaker. any tips appreciated (all the same, or do i need a certain kind, etc.).

Old 12-22-10, 12:58 PM
Hi, Danny.
That's an option. Not very experienced here, so i don't want to mess anything up, including myself. Same procedure with multimeter?

Old 12-22-10, 12:59 PM
Group Moderator
I think you wold know if the range is gas or electric because a gas range has a flame

Anyway, if you take off the panel cover you can check for voltage at the breaker. You have to do this hot so be very careful! Turn the panel off while taking the cover off and set your meter for at least 240 volts.

Note: Sometimes with a 30 amp dryer receptacle (outlet) it can be hard to get it one the terminal where the plug plugs into. Pulling out the receptacle and testing on the screws might be a better option. Again, you will have to do this hot so turn off the circuit when taking out the receptacle.

Old 12-22-10, 01:00 PM
check for voltage on the breaker, as Danny suggested. Also turn off, and then back on, as ibpooks said (the breaker handle sometimes goes off half way).

If you need to replace the breaker, shut the main off first, then simply pull the 30amp out.

Old 12-22-10, 01:19 PM
Well, looks like apologies to all on the outlet issue, maybe.
What i should have done first i just did...checked the power into the dryer from the outlet. Appears OK after i removed the plate to the dryer/cord connection. passed the multimeter test.
I'm guessing my multimeter prongs aren't long enough to test the outlet (even removed the receptacle cover. after probing, i did register a neutral/hot 120, but hard to repeat).

That sound reasonable (prong issue)?

If so, looks like it's time to move into a different sub-forum for dryers!

Old 12-22-10, 01:25 PM
Oops. One more thing...

After i took off the receptacle to the wall dryer outlet and looked around a bit i found connected wires, then one lone unconnected wire (copper looking) hanging loose in there. that normal? scares me! If i can figure out how to post a picture, I will do so. thx.

Old 12-22-10, 03:27 PM
Group Moderator
This might help: http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html

The loose wire is likely your issue. Turn off the circuit and reconnect. Turn it back on and retest. To test at the receptacle, insert the probes and move them side to side. The slots are pretty big.

Old 12-22-10, 04:46 PM
Group Moderator
OP originally wrote:
So, first off i checked the 3-prong outlet with my multimeter ... and no reading at all.
then one lone unconnected wire (copper looking) hanging loose in there.] Then later the OP wrote:
then one lone unconnected wire (copper looking) hanging loose in there.
Chris, Are there three insulated wires that are connected and one bare copper wire that isn't connected? This may not be related to your current problem but may indicate another issue that needs to be addressed.

Does your dryer plug look like this:

Old 12-22-10, 05:32 PM
It should look like this

Your outlet should look like this, but we'll address that later if it isn't.

Old 12-22-10, 06:26 PM
Group Moderator
Justin, a correct URL will end in "jpg", "png", or "gif". It will be called "direct link" or something similar.