Old Work Boxes Plastic

Old 12-22-10, 01:41 PM
Old Work Boxes Plastic

Do you guys completely remove the tabs on these boxes for the Romex, or do you let the tabs hold the cable in place?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-10, 01:49 PM
You don't have a choice. You must leave the clamps in place to prevent the NM from backing out

Old 12-22-10, 01:53 PM
lol, yes I have a choice. I could remove it completely, and staple the cable to a joist within a 6" of the box.

The delimma I have here is that either way it seems like damage to the cable could result. If we leave the tab, the cable can bend over it, and that seems like a heavy pich to the sheathing. If we remove it completely, then we are left with a sharp piece of plastic piercing the cable.

Old 12-22-10, 02:41 PM
Group Moderator
I have a choice. I could remove it completely, and staple the cable to a joist within a 6" of the box.
How? The purpose of the old-work box is so you don't have to bust out drywall.

Old 12-22-10, 05:36 PM

you're right, and once again, I'm wrong! But only because I called it an "old work" box. These thingies come for new work as well, and that would be where I'd have a choice.

So, does the code say anything about this? Would it be a violation to break the tab off?

Old 12-22-10, 06:33 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by tacticaltal View Post
So, does the code say anything about this? Would it be a violation to break the tab off?
I would say no, it is not a violation. This might be one for the AHJ but I doubt they would site you for that.

Old 12-22-10, 07:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That type of box you can reach in with your needle nose and grab that little rib on the top of the cable clamp. You can pull it out enough to slip the NM cable straight up into the box.

The plastic boxes with knockouts that are supposed to be removed are only held in by a thin strip of plastic which you can easily break out pretty much by finger pressure alone.

Old 12-23-10, 05:17 AM
Violation #1 110.3B

Here are the manufacturers instructions
http://www.carlon.com/Installation_T...B1-Install.pdf

No where does it permit breaking that clamp. In fact it says "secure clamp" and all photos show clamp present. Per 110.3B you shall follow these instructions.

Violation #2, UL Listing
Any unauthorized changes to the product whether at the factory or in the field voids the current UL listing. A field analysis would be required to possibly re-list the product. Junction boxes are required to be listed.

Violation #3

310.17A - per the void in the box that is created by removing the clamp

Violation #4 Fire Rating

You void the fire rating by creating the void where the clamp once was. The box no longer carries its 1, or 2 hour fire rating

The "choice" of securing the cable within 6" you mentioned, also wrong-

314.17c- for boxes without integrated clamps, NM or UF must be secured within 8" of where the cable enters.

Old 12-23-10, 10:12 AM
removed quoting of entire post

Thank you, Danny. Knowledge of little things like this are very meaningful. I appreciate the time you took in finding this for me.

Last edited by stickshift; 12-24-10 at 07:48 AM.