Wall Outlet Didn't Work Until I Turned Second Light On

Old 12-23-10, 11:01 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wall Outlet Didn't Work Until I Turned Second Light On

On either side of the bed headboard are outlets. The top outlet on each is controlled by a wall switch and the bottom one works without having to use the switch.

I have a lamp plugged in on one side, but have not turned it on in a while and the wall switch is off. Today, I plugged in a night light on the other side, top outlet, and it wouldn't turn on, even with the wall switch. I then turned on the lamp on the other side and when I went to turn on the night light it started working.

Why would this be?

Old 12-23-10, 11:42 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
and when I went to turn on the night light it started working.
If it is not a full brightness this is a classic example of being miss-wired in series. Open both receptacles and tell us all the wiring and connections. Are the tabs between the brass screws removed?

Old 12-23-10, 01:26 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ray2047
If it is not a full brightness this is a classic example of being miss-wired in series. Open both receptacles and tell us all the wiring and connections. Are the tabs between the brass screws removed?
Ray,

Thanks for the quick response. The brightness is fine. This is a small home we're renting and I won't be able to do what you just mentioned; I should have been clearer. Is this something that is hazardous? We don't want to bother the owner unless it's necessary.

Old 12-23-10, 02:07 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
You need to call the landlord. As a matter of liability tenants should not do electrical work, local ordinances may even prohibit it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: