24V power adapter into 12v device = kaput?

Old 12-22-10, 11:46 PM
24V power adapter into 12v device = kaput?

This may be more computer than electrical, not sure, but I hope someone might be able to answer this question.

In the course of moving around a room full of computers and accessories, I think I may have plugged a couple of external hard drives into a 24V power adapter (which is for a Dymo label machine) instead of the 12V adapters that were intended for it. Everything was disconnected at one point, and I plugged the hard drives in only to find they were not working, and they had been before. I tried different adapters after that, to no avail, and only then realized the Dymo adapter was sitting right next to the 12v adapters... so I'm thinking that it could have happened.

If it did, would that be the cause for the drives now not powering up?

(Would be a bonehead move on my part, but I suppose not the dumbest thing I've ever done...)

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-10, 12:13 AM
Yes, plugging a 12 volt device into a 24 volt supply could very well destroy the 12 volt device. I had a 12 volt VoIP adapter that I connected to a 12 volt battery and smoked it. I then ran voltage tests on the battery and discovered it had a voltage of about 13.8 volts because of the constantly connected charger. Since then I have been VERY careful about connecting any device to even a slightly higher voltage.