Power Outlet in Closet

Old 12-25-10, 11:59 AM
Power Outlet in Closet

Hello. I want to move my printer off my desk into the closet, but there's no power in the closet. I may eventually put A/V equipment in the closet too. Am I allowed to put a power outlet in a closet? If so, are there any special requirements (i.e. height from floor, GFCI, etc.)

The closet is about 4'x5' (8' ceiling) with a standard door, light switch, and fluorescent ceiling light. It's in an over-the-garage room. The room connects to a bathroom and also has a folding-door closet for clothes. (In other words, the room could be used as a bedroom, but I do not think it is a bedroom according to the town.)

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-10, 12:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You can install a receptacle in a closet. Some modern houses require plug in chargeable vacuums, irons, etc, so it is not out of the ordinary. If you plan on adding stuff to it, I would run a dedicated circuit to the receptacles, and go ahead and install them in the places you want to expand. Just install them at the same height as the remainder of the house.

Old 12-25-10, 12:29 PM
Thanks a lot for the quick response, on Christmas. Other receptacles in the house are typically a foot or so off the floor. There's a GFCI outlet on the other side of the closet wall at about four feet high for a bathroom sink area. Assuming there's enough extra amperage on that line, can you think of any reason I can't jump off of that box and put the receptacle higher on the wall? That would work nicely if I put the printer on a shelf. I just need to make sure I don't put a hole in a pipe. My next post may be over on the plumping forum.

Old 12-25-10, 12:38 PM
Group Moderator
Assuming there's enough extra amperage on that line, can you think of any reason I can't jump off of that box and put the receptacle higher on the wall?
Yes, NEC code violation. Bathroom branch circuits for receptacles can't be used in other rooms except other bathrooms (and other restrictions may apply there).

Old 12-25-10, 01:11 PM
Thanks to both of you for your help.

Old 12-25-10, 03:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There may be an option. De energize the light in the closet and remove the switch. Look inside and see if there are two white wires nutted together. If so, you have a neutral and can install a receptacle on the lighting circuit. I lucked out for a lady once who had this. She just wanted a place to plug in her iron. I put an over/under receptacle-switch in the box, since she had a neutral.

Old 12-25-10, 06:47 PM
chandler, thanks for the idea. There is one 14-3 (i think) going into the switch junction box with one of the wires unused. The switch is opposite the wall where I'd want the power outlet and I can see myself adding more equipments, so I will probably run a new circuit. Maybe I can find a circuit to fish from the attic that has enough capacity.

I have a 200 amp panel with a 100 amp sub-panel. Both are full and there are already a few high density breakers. I'll eventually bring in an electrician to upgrade the panels and maybe do the closet too. I found a home for the printer under my desk for now.

Thanks.

Old 12-25-10, 08:30 PM
Group Moderator
There is one 14-3 (i think) going into the switch junction box with one of the wires unused.
So it is wired to 2011 NEC code. If you have an unused white wire and that white wire goes to the ceiling box for the light and there is a neutral in that box you could come off the switch box with surface race and over to where you want the receptacle.

Figure the usual load on the circuit and compare it to the load that you will be adding. Take into consideration things like a printer will usually be in stand-by drawing very little power.

Old 12-26-10, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
So it is wired to 2011 NEC code. .
I have been wiring like that for awhile, running 12-2 from light to light, and 12-3 for the switch.
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
If you have an unused white wire and that white wire goes to the ceiling box for the light and there is a neutral in that box you could come off the switch box with surface race and over to where you want the receptacle..
Why do that, when a switch/receptacle combination may work prefectly if he wants to put the printer right inside the door.

Old 12-26-10, 10:25 AM
Group Moderator
Justin asked:
Why do that, when a switch/receptacle combination may work prefectly if he wants to put the printer right inside the door.
But Jschnei555 wrote:
The switch is opposite the wall where I'd want the power outlet

Old 12-26-10, 11:10 AM
Sorry! I misread the post! Also, a wiremould may work for the purpuse, if you cannot fish the wire somewhere.

Old 12-26-10, 02:42 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Justin Smith View Post
Sorry! I misread the post! Also, a wiremould may work for the purpuse, if you cannot fish the wire somewhere.
Well I did say surface race.

Old 12-28-10, 08:19 PM
Thanks for all the comments. The wall where I want the outlet opens to the unfinished attic, so I should be able to run a line down the wall. It gets tricky if I need to get another line from the basement/breaker box. The printer under the desk is working nicely for now. ;-)