Is Sudden Loss of Retention Normal?

Old 12-29-10, 11:38 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Is Sudden Loss of Retention Normal?

There is a 20a spec grade gfi in my kitchen that I am guessing is 15 years old. It always had great retention. One day, it lost all retention, and I cannot even use it because of how hot plugs get, since it lost retention. Is this normal, or should I just I just add it to the list of weird things that happens in this house. The matching one for the range hood still holds strong.

Old 12-29-10, 11:51 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Replace and add to the list.

Old 12-29-10, 06:52 PM
I guess I gotta go to supply and spend $11 because something likes ruining receptacles and turning on lights, computers, fans,etc, etc. while burning out lights in front of the angel while leaving the 1950s lights untouched.

Old 12-29-10, 07:23 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Justin Smith
I guess I gotta go to supply and spend $11 because something likes ruining receptacles and turning on lights, computers, fans,etc, etc. while burning out lights in front of the angel while leaving the 1950s lights untouched.
Heavy repeated use, such as is found in a kitchen, and even overloading and heating takes it's toll on devices. So, you have lights, computers and fans mysteriously turning on? Tell us more about your angel.

Old 12-30-10, 06:48 AM
The only thing that gets plugged into that receptacle is a nightlight on the top, and a deep fryer on the bottom, via it is right by the window(I know it is a violation) When the deepfryer was unplugged, it held great, the next time, it couldn't hold the plug. The same with the top, sudden loss of retention.
On my tree in my bedroom, I have it decorated with lights dating back to the 1950's, although I want older ones. (don't worry, I built a fused extension cord with surge protection) I have a white bulb from the 1970's from a string my grandma found in her attic. The bulb wasn't hardly used, and I fell asleep with it working, woke up and it was dead. Of all of the other bulbs that were very hardly used, that one had to magically burn out. I just found it funny with all of the other weird things that go on in this house.

Old 12-30-10, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
There really is nothing weird about receptacles and old xmas light wearing out.

Nothing that you describe is anywhere near safe.
Your loose receptacle is a fire waiting to happen and you should unplug what is connected to it and replace it right away.
The fuse and surge protection you have on those old lights are not providing any protection at all.
Having a fuse connected to out-dated lights will not protect an overheated cord or a short that does not trip it.
Fine if the dog or cat bites through a shorts the wire but not for a slow burning socket or wire.

Be safe and replace it all with new and modern devices.

Edit:
There is a tester available to test the tension of a receptacle:

Click image:

Image courtesy of professionalequipment.com

Last edited by GregH; 12-30-10 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-30-10, 09:09 AM
I have tape over the receptacle, and use the other ones and I will replace it when we put cabinets on the other wall, so everything matches. The old lights are 20awg wire, with soldered connections (I just re-soldered everything and threw away frayed or corroded wires) the fuse is 5Amp, just like today's lights. I trust the old lights more because I had many newer sets start arching where the brass pierced the wires.

Old 12-30-10, 10:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You don't solder AC wiring. I just worry about the integrity of this daisy chain disaster waiting to happen.

Old 12-30-10, 11:04 AM
I do not connect more than 25 old lamps together for obvious reasons. I have a Tr receptacle within the tree,(Artificial) and I plug my lights in there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: