Ride-on toy battery replacements

Old 12-27-10, 04:03 PM
Ride-on toy battery replacements

I need to replace a pair of 6VDC "A" case batteries (red) for a Power Wheels ride-on toy. Of course, Fisher Price recommends only Fisher Price batteries which are 6VDC but only 9.5 amp hour. Several after-market battery sellers have 12 & 14 amp hour batteries. As long as they are 6VDC & have the same case dimensions and terminal connectors, it seems that these upgrade batteries should work well. Am I on the right thought track that an extended amp/hour battery should only perform better / longer & not affect the motor being driven any other way?
Does anyone have any experience with using upgrade batteries in Power Wheels toys? These are older toys so warrantee is not a concern...

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-10, 04:16 PM
The battery doesn't "push" amperes; the device draws what it requires. Using the higher amp-hour batteries won't cause a problem.

Old 12-27-10, 05:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by TexasFire View Post
Am I on the right thought track that an extended amp/hour battery should only perform better / longer & not affect the motor being driven any other way?
That is correct; the higher amp hour battery will not hurt the car and will provide longer run time. The brand name batteries are a ripoff.

Old 12-27-10, 05:53 PM
I had a 12volt model and cut the end off and used a jumperpack, and it worked great!

Old 12-28-10, 04:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The "Dual A" vehicles are actually 12V -they put the two 6V batteries in series. However, the one thing you have to keep in mind, any aftermarket battery is going to have regular old tab terminals. The Power Wheels battery connectors are proprietary and no aftermarket battery company has them. So what you'll have to do is cut the old vehicle side connector off and install a regular 20A DC male-female plug. You'll have to put the same thing on your charger, and on the battery itself. You will also have to install a 15A ATC fuse or circuit breaker inline with the battery plug (the OEM batteries have a 15A circuit breaker built in under the plastic cap, older ones have an actual ATC fuse). You can use ANY 12V sealed lead replacement battery as long as it will physically fit inside the compartment.

Old 12-29-10, 08:11 AM
Thanks for all of the input! I happened to find a web site that is dedicated to modifications / upgrades of all power wheels toys. Here it is: Modified Power Wheels Information
TexasFire