Switched outlet single unit


Old 12-27-10, 05:49 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: usa
Posts: 2
Switched outlet single unit

Is there such a thing? I am looking for a single gang unit that has a switch on top or bottom that controls the attached outlet. Can't find it anywhere. I am building lockers for my kids, installed two gang boxes in each locker and want to be able to plug in a light and control it with a switch, yet I want the other gang (outlets) to be live for charging cells phones, etc. I can't seem to find anything like this. Does anyone know if this exists? Or am I stuck with a plug in that has the switch on it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-10, 06:22 PM
ray2047's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 32,662
You mean a combo switch/receptacle device? Their common as dirt but if you go to BigBox the clerk may not have a clue so you will just have to look for your self.

Old 12-27-10, 07:20 PM
Tolyn Ironhand's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 11,984
Ray's pict is what your looking for. However you might have to run a short jumper from the switch leg side of the switch to the hot screw of the receptacle.
Old 12-27-10, 08:43 PM
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: usa
Posts: 1,363
I think he means he wants the outlet switch to control whats plugged into it. I have one installed but the lower half stays active while the switch controls the overhead light in the room.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes