Crazy wiring

Old 12-29-10, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Crazy wiring

Hello,

We recently moved into a home. The home is about 12 years old. S0me of the wiring makes zero sense to me. I have done some electical in the past. I have even completed one of those electrcial courses from home and am farily comfortable. To sum up my situation there are several receptacles controlled by switched. That's is the least of my concerns. My biggest concern is that some of the switches control things that make no sense at all. For example, we have a switch in the dining room that controls the bathroom fan. It is a two way switch (i beleive in both the bathroom and dining room). would it be possible or advisable for me remove the switch and marrette the wires together to close the circuit and cover the box with a blank plastic plate? At our main entrance we have a family room. Right when you walk in the door there are three switches one controls the entrance lights, one the outdoor lights, and the third inside hall lights. On the opposit wall is a single switch that when turned off disables all the other switches on the opposite wall. Again would it be possible/advisable to close the circuit and cover the box with a plastic plate? Please let me know if you require more information. As far as the switched outlets, once I have close both circuits mentioned I would replace the recptables, leving the tabs in place eliminating the switched receptacles.

Thanks in advance,

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-10, 08:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
Not sure in Canada, but in the USA we call them three way switches.

Yes, if it works better for you, then splicing the wires and bypassing the switches is just fine. A blank plate will finish the job.

Old 12-30-10, 05:40 AM
Not sure in Canada, but in the USA we call them three way switches.
They are a "three way switch" in Canada as well.

Old 01-04-11, 09:48 PM
I would be inclined to leave the switched outlets alone. They are real convenient for lamps.

If I read your post correctly, they are not 3 way switches, but just regular single pole. Is that correct? It is difficult to understand why they would have two single pole switches in series. It is "probably" (I can't see them from here...) okay to remove the apparently useless switch and put a plain cover on the box. Just watch to see if anything goes wrong after that.

It could be worse; in my cottage they put 3 20a circuits for baseboard heaters on a single 50a breaker; like using a penny for a fuse.

Last edited by pcboss; 01-05-11 at 11:13 AM. Reason: clarification of terms
Old 01-05-11, 09:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Toller View Post
It could be worse; in my cottage they put 3 20a circuits for baseboard heaters on a single 50a breaker; like using a penny for a fuse.
That situation is legal in some cases for baseboard heaters. Yours may or may not be depending on how it was installed.