Breaker preference

Old 12-30-10, 04:45 AM
Breaker preference

Using a Reliance main panel, does anyone have a preference on which breaker to use/not use?

I know it's been asked before but figure I would keep it current, no pun intended.

Breakers that are approved are:

Siemens Type QP, QT, QPH, HQP, QPF, QPHF, QFP, QE, QEH

Square D Hom

Murray and Westinghouse but I would like to go with either Square D or Siemens, bias to Square D.

Never looked too hard into all the Siemens listed, just looking for up to date field experience....thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-10, 05:47 AM
I would go with the Siemans because Reliance uses those in all of their panels, plus they are easy to find. As to the types....Their part numbers are confusing, but use the QP series, which would simply be a Q120 for a single pole, Q230 for double pole 30 etc. A lot of those "plug in" breakers are interchangeable in case you need one and have to sub, but again, reliance uses Siemans as their breaker of choice.

Old 12-30-10, 06:09 AM
I prefer Square D qo, but since that is not accepted, you should to go with Homeline.

Old 12-30-10, 04:30 PM
Group Moderator
Go with what ever is easily available in your area. Siemens has been around for a long time (As ITE) as has Square D Homeline. Those two are quality panels/breakers

Old 12-30-10, 08:07 PM
I thought the sun rose and set on Square D before Schneider Electric bought them, not so fond of them any more. I used to swear by Square D and today I swear AT Square D more because of the way they do business. That being said, the Homeline has the same internal mechanisms as the QO and isn't a bad breaker. The Siemens and Murray are identical in every way except U.L. Listings and even come from the same plant (Siemens owns Murray). There isn't a Westinghouse made any more, but the same thing would be Cutler Hammer BR series. The BR breakers are identical to the old Westinghouse, Challenger and Bryant breakers. I would go with either Homeline or Siemens.

Old 12-30-10, 08:31 PM
Group Moderator
I believe Eaton, which owns Cuttler Hammer, bought/acquired the Westinghouse, Challenger, Bryant lines. As Joe pointed out, the BR some of the breakers are the same and are listed as replacements.

I did not know Siemens owned Murry. Around here the only Murry panels we see are quite old. (30+ years)

Old 12-30-10, 08:40 PM
Seems one difference is, whether or not is relevant...is the Square D HOM breakers do not have an ETL safety listing compared to the Siemens QP, and are also about half price for the smaller single-pole.

Both are UL listed so why the ETL rating?

Sorry if this sounds basic but just trying to get an understanding. I assume both are equally safe?

Old 12-30-10, 08:46 PM
For a time, the Murray name was dropped and they were called "crouse hinds", then changed back to Murray. They are all good breakers and I doubt if you would go wrong with any of them. I work for a distributor that sells Reliance stuff and the only reason I suggested Siemans is that is what Reliance installs in their larger units and they also sell them for extras. Every area is different though so go with what is easily available. Sqd Homeline is almost always available at the DIY big box stores.

Old 12-31-10, 07:06 AM
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
I believe Eaton, which owns Cuttler Hammer, bought/acquired the Westinghouse, Challenger, Bryant lines. As Joe pointed out, the BR some of the breakers are the same and are listed as replacements.

I did not know Siemens owned Murry. Around here the only Murry panels we see are quite old. (30+ years)
In addition, Eaton also bought some of the old FPE plants and still operates one of them near me that does custom interiors and covers/doors for existing panelboard cans under the C-H name. In years past, the Challenger, Bryant, General Switch and many other branded breakers were manufactured by Westinghose and private labelled.

The 30+ year old Murray panels and breakers were from the Arrow-Hart Murray days and totally different from today's Murray. During this time frame, the gold standard was the Square D QO series (pre Schneider Electric) and the Cutler-Hammer C-H series. Some things never change.

Last edited by CasualJoe; 12-31-10 at 07:19 AM. Reason: added info
Old 12-31-10, 07:14 AM
For a time, the Murray name was dropped and they were called "crouse hinds", then changed back to Murray
I wasn't aware of that, but it sounds reasonable. When Crouse-Hinds was in the loadcenter and breaker business (20 to 25 years ago) they were owned by Cooper Industries and then seemed to disappear. I am assuming, from your statement, that Cooper bought Arrow-Hart Murray and eventually sold it to Siemens. Today's Murray is a clone of Siemens and not even similar to the old Murray which is a good thing.

Old 12-31-10, 12:11 PM
I have been a buyer for 30 years and it is amazing how many companies I have seen come and go.....especially in panels and breakers....Some of those breakers have changed hands mulitiple times, some are just GONE. Zinsco, American (not FPE), Wadsworth, FPE, General Switch, Connecticut Switch, Arrow Hart, Crouse Hinds, and the Challenger/Westinghouse/Bryant/T&B fisacos come to mind. Funny though how you can find replacements for most of these but the names have changed so many times it is hard to keep up. The old Zinsco breakers were used by Zinsco, Challenger, General Switch, Milbank, and T&B. Now some are made offshore by UBI. The sad part I guess is that now there are only a few companies left for residential, GE, SQD, ITE/Murray, and Cutler Hammer. Not to keep going down memory lane or changing the subject, but there used to be MANY wire manufacturers....now there are only a scant few left that make romex /thhn. A sign of our times.

Last edited by JimElectric; 12-31-10 at 12:12 PM. Reason: addition
Old 12-31-10, 02:20 PM
I did notice that the Siemens are about 40% more than the HOM. Not that it's a huge deal but I may go with the Siemens just because Reliance uses them.

Old 12-31-10, 02:28 PM
Funny though how you can find replacements for most of these but the names have changed so many times it is hard to keep up.
Especially when someone asks for a Challenger breaker it could be the old Zinsco style, the old Sylvania style or the old FPE StabLok style.