two rooms electric just turned off

Old 01-02-11, 05:32 PM
two rooms electric just turned off

I had two rooms at my home just turn off. I checked the circuit breaker and also replaced it with no satisfaction. does anyone have any idea what would cause this?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-11, 05:48 PM
Welcome to the forums! It sounds like a broken wire/loose screw or wirenut. Check your receptacle boxes, switches and all junction boxes.

Old 01-02-11, 06:30 PM
There is a bad connection or a defective component in the circuit. You have to find the first bad box and the last good one, and check every connection in and between them. Since you probably don't know exactly what those are, you will have to check everything. There is no shortcut.
Before I started doing my own electrical I had a similar problem. Two handymen couldn't find the problem. I finally found an outside outlet that I never used (that shouldn't have been on the circuit) had developed a ground fault. I hope you find the problem more quickly.

Old 01-02-11, 08:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Often times this loose connection that others have pointed out is due to an aging receptacle connected via a "back-stab" connection. These are generally el-cheapo receptacles with the wires just pushed into little holes in the back. Over time, the spring connection weakens and causes issues.

I'd recommend you look for receptacles wired like this and either move the wires to the side screw terminals or replace the receptacles with decent ($1.50 - $3.00) ones.