Switched Receptacle not working after replacement

Old 01-05-11, 04:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Switched Receptacle not working after replacement

Hello,

I recently replaced all of my old outlets that were painted over with new clean white ones. I made sure that all the wiring was labeled correctly, put in the new receptacle at the switch, then continued on the rest of the outlets in the room. I broke off the brass tab on the hot side at the outlet below the switch only. The receptacle is always hot. I have about 6 receptacles in the room, I did not remove the tabs on any of the other outlets, do all the tabs on each outlet in the series need to be removed? I have found several posts about similar problems but nothing quite the same situation and I have been googling for days.

Here is my wiring from the switch to the outlet.

I have Two White common, two red (one in the quick connect from outlet one in screw to the next outlet), two black (same setup as red) and a ground. This is the same setup on each receptacle in the bedroom. while trouble shooting, when i removed the red and black wires that travel to the next outlet, the switch works fine. But when i hook them back up everything goes hot. This is what is making me think i need to remove the tabs on each outlet and all the outlets were wired to be 1/2 switched.

My wife threw out the old outlets before i realized the issue so i cant compare. Any help is appreciated.

Kevin

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-11, 05:39 PM
Are you saying the switch is only suppose to get one outlet hot, or more than one?

When you hook the wires up the way you think they should be, the outlet or outlets are all live and seem to bypass the switch?

Old 01-05-11, 05:47 PM
got it

I had to remove all the brass tabs on the receptacles that were wired into the switch and VOILA. I didnt know all the outlets in the bedroom were switch controlled