Tape Recorder Motor - Capacitor

Old 01-04-11, 10:01 PM
Tape Recorder Motor - Capacitor

I appreciate DaveB and Wgoodrich's motor discussion from year 2002. It helped me, below.

My situation is a drive motor in an older reel-to-reel tape recorder that was running hot. Got up to 153 degF after 45 minutes of operation, unloaded. It has two sets of windings, one tied in with a 2 microfarad capacitor. No centrifugal switch nor starting capacitor.

Their discussion on counter EMF (electromotive force) and how it decayed over time in a bad motor so that current increased answered my questions on what I saw. I found this motor also slowed from 3469 rpm, cold, to 2800 rpm, hot. So I digged into it and found one of the pair of windings burned.

I want to get this running so will need to rewind. The discussion on how the capacitor helps running torque answered my question on why it was there.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-11, 09:40 AM
Capacitor function in a motor without a centrifugal switch

DaveB: Assuming this gets to your e-mail account written in 2002 so that you'll read it in 2011, how does a capacitor function in a two-winding single phase motor that doesn't switch out the capacitor, without a centrifugal switch? Such is found in a reel-to-reel tape recorder.

Am I correct to assume the 2nd winding, 90 degrees out of phase with the main winding, has a capacitor in series with it so that it helps maintain constant torque and such torque is more than in a single winding single phase motor? Does it counter the inductive reactance of this 2nd winding, like you explained for a motor with a centrifugal switch switching out the start winding? It helps the start winding look solely like resistance? DBabbitt