Installing a junction box

Old 01-08-11, 10:30 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing a junction box

My question is about installing a junction box. I have a line running from a wall switch to an outlet. I have cut the line and want to install a junction box. The new line would run from the junction box up the wall and to a new outlet box. I want to wire in a light at this new box.

My first question is that the line I have cut into has a red, black, white and ground wire and the new line I will be connecting at the junction box will have a black, white and ground. What is the proper way to connect these wires at the junction box?

Question 2 is how how far down from the ceiling should I install the new outlet box? I was thinking about 12 inches down from the ceiling.

Thanks

Walt

Old 01-08-11, 11:45 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
My question is about installing a junction box. I have a line running from a wall switch to an outlet.
If it is a switch loop there is no neutral and it can't be used. If it is a switch loop the white is not neutral. If the white is connected to the switch it is a switch loop.

Old 01-08-11, 01:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
I suspect you might have had a constant hot and a switched hot in that cable. Can you tell what colors and wires were connected to the switch and also in the switch box?

If you do not use 3 conductor + ground cable this may not work as you planned.

Any height from the ceiling would work as long as it remains permanently accessible.

Old 01-09-11, 07:40 AM
W
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I looked at how the switch is wired and the red wire is on the bottom and the black is on the top. The white wire is tied off to another white wire. The wire(line) that runs from switch to the outlet is where I cut the line. I reconnected the wires as follows: I connected the two reds; connected the three whites and the three blacks and the grounds to the box.
The results are that the power to the outlet turns on and off with the switch. The new line I connected to this existing line has constant power to it (the switch will not turn it on and off).

If I use this 3 conductor + ground cable for my new line will this allow the power to this new line to be turned on and off with the switch?

Nothing is easy........./

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: