Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

questions about installing 100amp sub panel on or next to freight container.

Old 01-05-11, 01:53 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

We want to install a 100amp sub-panel on/in or alongside a freight container on the property for commercial usage.

1. Can the sub-panel be mounted on the exterior/interior of the container or must it be mounted on a PT post? ( the container is not level )

2. Is s a small cement slab required below the panel if outside? or can gravel suffice?

3. Can the feeders come from underground RNC (PVC) to a post mounted sub-panel?

4. Do we need a pull lever disconnect if a welder is to be used? ( 30 amp, 240V )

5. Do I need to use a warning ribbon.. if the feeder is feeding a sub-panel?

more info: the container is not level,and the surrounding ground is is on a small grade... this will be dealt with in the summer.

thanks in advance!

Old 01-05-11, 02:15 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
All of this depends entirely on how your local AHJ (inspector) views this as a vehicle, shed, temporary or permanent structure.

I'd probably consider installing a 100A receptacle to a PT post near the container and run a 100A feeder cord from the panel inside the container. Those connectors are pretty expensive though, but might be your only option if the AHJ considers this movable.

Old 01-05-11, 05:26 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Is the freight container being used as a shop or office/lab environment? If so, it will need to be leveled and would be easiest to do if it was on a slab. I recently saw a new freight container outfitted as a lab/shop in the UK with specialized equipment needing 415 volts. The one I saw had a 415 volt subpanel mounted inside the container and pre-wired to all equipment in the UK and was then shipped to the U.S. This container also had a 120/240 volt single phase subpanel field installed for receptacles, lights, heat and a-c. In this case the AHJ had no problem with it becasue this was a specialized piece of purchased equipment.

Old 01-05-11, 07:54 PM
can a Power Distribution Box be used to run a welder ..

inside and or outside a freight container for an extended period of time? + some work lights..and the box's general GFIC plugs..

power feed would come form an adjacent PT pole mounted sub
panel.

trying to research cheapest way to bring power to a container on the property and use as welding station but the container is on a slight grade and no leveling can happen for 6 months. ( I don;t figure the local AHJ (inspector) would allow a panel placed on an un-level container.. but I'm not sure.
any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-06-11, 12:49 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The best way I can see is to cord and cap connect it. The problem is, it is EXPENSIVE!!!

Old 01-06-11, 01:30 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Have you thought about just setting a piece of plywood between two 4x4 posts and putting a small panel and few receptacles on the ply. You could run drop cords into your container for this temporary job site. Your welding supplier should be able to hook you up with a welder extension cord suitable for your particular machine.

Old 01-06-11, 10:15 PM
ibpooka: Yes that's what I meant by PT posts.( preasure treated posts) thanks!

I am also ( haha) trying to learn and do a few 3D CAD architectural plans to email to the inspector so no time/materials are wasted, and he doesn't have to come way out here. sometimes they come out.. and dream up the worse case senario and say they want to see that.. ug!,, ( pave the entire property and I want to see a handicap accessible bathroom put in.. with solar fart fan! ) haha

not sure if he will allow for a Mema type 1 Portable Power Distribution box or if I have to go with a Type 3R..

anyone have any idea?

Old 01-07-11, 09:07 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Type 1 should be okay inside the container, but any outside would need to be at least 3R.

Old 01-11-11, 01:24 PM
thanks for the info one more?

Will there need to be fence surrounding the exterior panel if the area is accessible by horses? I could not find this in the code.

Old 01-11-11, 02:32 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't think a fence is required, but it would be wise to make sure everything exposed to animals is in conduit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: