Problem with home theatre projector

Old 01-10-11, 11:17 AM
Problem with home theatre projector

Okay, let me start by saying Iíve had an Electrician, a Master Electrician, and a Home Theatre guy look at this problem. I have a home theatre projection unit that is giving us fits. For two years the system worked fine. Following a severe thunder storm, the breaker for the room was tripped and the projector wouldnít work after resetting the breaker. The projector was fixed and reinstalled. With the projector power switch off and the power cord plugged in, when the HDMI cable was plugged in, there was an arc from the HDMI cable to its port on the projector. This damaged the projector. The outlet for the projector is a surge protected unit from FP Power. After the second projector frying, the outlet was replaced with another unit. The outlet was replaced under warranty, but the manufacturer said it tested fine.
At this point the projector is fixed and the outlet replaced. The voltage at the outlets measures 121-122V. We connected the HDMI cable and plugged the projector in to an outlet on a different room (different circuit). It worked fine. When the power was connected to the surge outlet for the projector, the lights drew down and there was an audible humming sound. This was with the units power switch turned off. Of course, the projector was damaged once again somehow. Itís tempting to say somethingís wrong with the outlet, but why would power even be getting to the projector if the switch is off? And why did it work great when plugged into a different circuit? Everything else in the room, as well as the other components of the system, work fine. Like I say it worked for two years, now this. Iím nearing my wits end hereÖ..

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-11, 11:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by vega427 View Post
when the HDMI cable was plugged in, there was an arc from the HDMI cable to its port on the projector.
Where does the other end of the HDMI cable go and how is that piece of equipment powered?

why would power even be getting to the projector if the switch is off?
On most modern electronics, the power switch is just for show; the unit is on whenever the cord is plugged in.

And why did it work great when plugged into a different circuit?
It is probably a grounding problem or perhaps a neutral conductor problem. Do you know any more details about how this circuit is wired? What else does it power? Are these components connected to other systems, phone, CATV, satellite, antenna, etc? Did you have any other problems after the lightning storm? Have you noticed incandescent lights getting dimming and brightening?

Old 01-10-11, 11:44 AM
Group Moderator
The pros will probably have better ideas but since you say it works fine on a different circuit I would abandon the receptacle causing the problem and run a new cable all the way from the panel.

Rereading what you wrote your problem seems to only occur when plugging into a surge receptacle. Have you tried replacing the surge receptacle with just a plain receptacle to see if it does the same thing? Not a fix but if it only does it with your surge protector that would narrow down your problem.

Old 01-10-11, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by ibpooks View Post
Where does the other end of the HDMI cable go and how is that piece of equipment powered?
Next to the projector on the ceiling is a HDMI outlet that runs above the ceiling and down inside the far wall, where there is another outlet. The cable box connects to this outlet and is powered by a recepticle nearby.

Originally Posted by ibpooks View Post
What else does it power? Are these components connected to other systems, phone, CATV, satellite, antenna, etc? Did you have any other problems after the lightning storm? Have you noticed incandescent lights getting dimming and brightening?
The entire room (lighting/recepticles) is on one circuit. And there is a cable reciever/dvd/sound surround. No other storm related issues come to mind and the only time I can recall the lights dimming is when the projector was hooked up this last time.

Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
The pros will probably have better ideas but since you say it works fine on a different circuit I would abandon the receptacle causing the problem and run a new cable all the way from the panel.

Rereading what you wrote your problem seems to only occur when plugging into a surge receptacle. Have you tried replacing the surge receptacle with just a plain receptacle to see if it does the same thing? Not a fix but if it only does it with your surge protector that would narrow down your problem.
Hind sight being 20/20, I wish I had tried it in a recpticle on the wall first. I've plugged other item into the surge outlet since, to test (lamp, drill) and they worked as they should. With it working on a different circuit, I may have to run a new cable for the outlet.
Thanks for your input guys!

Old 01-11-11, 05:00 AM
Pull the cable off the box and see if there is AC voltage between the outer metal part of the connector and the threads on the cable box. A fault in the cable ground is a common cause for this type of thing. It will also show voltage if you measure between the cable connector and the ground lug of the receptacles. The HDMI has a ground that connects the chassis of the cable box and the projector.

Old 01-11-11, 06:39 AM
You say each out has 121-122v, hot to neutral I assume. Measure the voltage at the projector power outlet (FP Power) relative to a good known ground, such as from the circuit in the other room. You may need an extension cord to do this. Put one voltmeter lead on ground of the circuit in the other room and put the second lead on each of the three conductors in the FP power outlet- hot, neutral and ground, to get the three voltage readings.

I am curious as to whether the FP unit is grounded properly.