Refrigerator and Surges

Old 01-10-11, 07:14 PM
Refrigerator and Surges

Little background--

House built 7 years ago, this summer air conditioner capacitor burned out, few weeks later the refrigerator capacitor burned out, few weeks later our neighbor's refrigerator capacitor burned out. All was well until 4 weeks ago when our refrigerator died again (7 years old). We made the decision to just buy a new one so three weeks ago we have one delivered and this weekend it started acting up and now runs but won't keep things cold. Service man coming tomorrow but here is my question.

Do you think there is something wrong with our interior wiring and where should we start the process. I assume hire an electrician but I don't even know where to have him start and and want to cover myself so that I don't get taken. I have also contacted the electric company but have not heard back from them.

Thanks!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-11, 07:22 PM
It doesn't sound like an interior wiring problem to me and it may not even be surges. I think I'd contact the power company customer service and ask to be connected to someone in their power quality department. Most power companies have a power quality department and will connect monitoring equipment to your service to diagnose problems such as you are having. If it is definitely found to be a power quality issue, you may be able to file a claim for damages. In the event the damage is caused by voltage surges, you can protect your appliance by investing in a whole house surge protector installed in your service panel.

Old 01-11-11, 02:38 AM
if its affecting your neighbor also something may be going on with the poll that services your houses. transformer could be going etc.