Insert an inline switch into a power strip cord

Old 01-13-11, 08:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Insert an inline switch into a power strip cord

Hello, I have a jukebox project cabinet I've built with several electric components inside. They are all plugged into an internally mounted powerstrip so I can kill everything with one switch. I want to mount a switch on the front of the cabinet for this purpose so I don't have to open up the back. Basically I want to make sure I don't kill myself with incorrect wiring. I've attached a drawing of how I think it should be wired. Does this look correct? My main question is does the switch itself need to be grounded? Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Looks like the image link I inserted didn't display correctly; here's the URL: switch | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-11, 08:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Yes your diagram shows the concept correctly. If the switch needs to be grounded it should have a grounding screw on it; generally this would only be if the panel switch has a metal body. Make sure to use the right sized strain relief fittings for the cord you're installing so conductors can't pull loose and short out. You might want to look into the "UL knot" for installing cords into appliance enclosures.

Old 01-13-11, 08:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Maybe something like this would do what you need without having to wire it yourself:

Amazon.com: Belkin BG108000-04 Conserve Energy-Saving Surge Strip: Electronics

I'm sure I saw some wired power strips with the switch at the end of a couple-foot cable, but I can't seem to find an example online.