Want to make sure i do this right

Old 01-13-11, 05:03 PM
Want to make sure i do this right

i want to make a motor reversible by a switch

i have made a bad diagram. i will try to post with this of the 20 amp DPDT switch.

the only thing i am not sure about is if i have the hot and neutral right.

should i opt for a 4p switch so i can cut the hot lead to (if i have it right) or will this set up work fine

please note that the motor will only be plugged in while in use and unplugged the rest of the time

also this is the wiring diagram that came with the motor

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-11, 07:05 PM
Group Moderator
Make it easy on your self and get a Reversing Drum Switch. (Do a search on google or go here:Drum switch

Old 01-13-11, 08:35 PM
i would like to get by a little cheaper then a switch that costs 3 times the motor.

the direction of the motor will not be switched with out stopping it first.

Old 01-14-11, 04:09 AM
A SPDT switch is all you need. In the CCW case, L2 is connected to Red. For CW, L2 is connected to blue. The capacator is always connected red to blue, so no need to fiddle with that.

Wire L2 to the common pole, red to one switch pole and blue to the other, like you have on the left side of your switch diagram.

Old 01-14-11, 04:12 AM
Add a second switch for on/off. That way you can let the motor stop before reversing.

Old 01-14-11, 04:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
the direction of the motor will not be switched with out stopping it first.
How do you know? Is this a 100% iron clad guarantee that "someone" won't operate it incorrectly?
You can add switches for on-off, add switches for cw and ccw, build a housing for it somewhere.......or do it right and purchase a drum switch as Scott said. Getting by cheaper didn't help with the Challenger.

Old 01-14-11, 01:20 PM
There is nothing wrong with what he wants to do. He will be able to handle this. We dont even know the application. If it were for an elevator, it probably would need a few more safegaurds. What keeps you from putting your car in reverse while going forward?

Old 01-14-11, 02:28 PM
What it's for

I am wiring this up for a meat grinder that we use to make sausage

i am the only one who use it.

it will be used at most once to two a year

the only time you will use the reverse is to get out the occasional plug up. this happens about once every 150 lbs you run through it.

with reverse it would be easier to unplug it then having to tear the whole thing apart.

it will be running in one direction about 99.99% of the time.

so i could still get by with the dpdt switch just use it for the hot and the neutral. correct?

the switch i want to use has one lock position an off then a momentary on (for reverse of course)

Old 01-14-11, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by Monty_77 View Post
so i could still get by with the dpdt switch just use it for the hot and the neutral. correct?

the switch i want to use has one lock position an off then a momentary on (for reverse of course)
By "lock" I assume your mean "maintained". In the industry, this type of switch would be called a 'DPDT, maintained on/ maintained center off/ momentary on spring return to center." So the switch you want to use has six terminals, right? With this the case, just wire one of the two poles, with L2 one the common terminal (center), blue and red on the end terminals. If the momemtary and maintained positions are not right just reverse them.

But put L2 on the center terminal, and blue and red on the two end terminals.

Old 01-14-11, 04:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There's nothing wrong with doing what he proposes. There's nothing "wrong" with going around the moon to get to the other side of the street, either. Just easier, less costly, less time consuming ways that are guaranteed safe. I don't care if he is the only one to use it, there is a possibility, ever so slight that someone else will, and it will not be safe. Period.

Old 01-14-11, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Just easier, less costly, less time consuming
50 to 150 for drum switch, week for shipping

4 dollars for toggle switch, have it

will a drum switch stop the motor from spinning one direction before it allow it's handle to be thrown the other direction (will it put on the motor brakes lol) or do you still have to wait for it to stop. if that's the case what is the difference.

will a drum switch stop someone from switching it to fast in to the other direction?

I would understand if it was a motor that was reversed direction all day long, but something that might be reversed for 2 seconds once a year.

i just don't see the braking system in the diagrams of the drum switches.

yes my switch has 6 terminals. and it is labeled on the package like you said

Thank you DIYMaster for the help

sorry to start an argument with just trying to get help

Last edited by Monty_77; 01-14-11 at 07:05 PM.