Fan/light Switch - Simple? (with picture link)

Old 01-13-11, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fan/light Switch - Simple? (with picture link)

Hopefully the pictures help. The illustration is of the faulty switch. Light came on when "light bulb" pressed. Then, only the tiny switch at bottom would turn the light on. No fan speeds work now either. The question - it has only two wires coming off it (no ground) that connect to 2 black in the box. My new Lutron (pictured) has 3 plus ground.
I know the yellow for light, red for fan, ....how do i wire this thing?
http://img515.imageshack.us/i/switch4.jpg/

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-11, 08:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
IF yellow is for the light, and red is for the fan, then it would only make sense that the black is for the hot coming into the box.

BTW the Lutron switch looks like a standard dimmer switch. If it is, then it will not work for the fan. Do you have a model number for the switch?

Old 01-13-11, 08:45 PM
Lutron 3 speed fan

Sorry, I don't have it in front of me. The lower rocker controls the light and the slide has 3 stops as you slide it. I figured on wiring the black of the switch to the hot in the box. What do i do with the red and yellow? Tie them together with the other remaining black in the box?

Old 01-14-11, 08:27 PM
Group Moderator
If you only have two blacks in the box then you only have one switch leg. You will only be able to control the fan/light at the same time. You will only want to use the wire that is for controlling the light (the rocker switch) and cap off the other one. IMO if you only have one switch leg in the box, why not just use a standard single pole switch?

Old 01-15-11, 01:40 PM
Single pole switch for fan also?

Not sure I follow you. If I use a single pole switch, am I sending power to both the fan and the light? and then using the pull the string to control which one is on or off at any given time?
If that's the case then how did the old switch work with only two black wires? I could control the light on and off as well as press those bars to control the fan

Old 01-15-11, 05:49 PM
the old "switch" appears to be an in wall remote. Its likely only 14-2 is ran to the light/fan so a remote control unit was installed.

If this is true, you will not be able to control the fan/ light independently without rewiring the fan or using a wireless remote.

This is an example of a wireless remote and in wall remote

Old 01-15-11, 08:10 PM
You're so right!

That's it! When we moved in there were remotes everywhere. 6 remotes for window a/c's, at least another 4 or 5 for ceiling lights, remotes for lamps left behind. It took a while to figure what remote went to what fixture.
Ok, now what? Do I have to rewire it for a new remote? Or do I just buy what you pictured, connect it, and it'll work again?
It really makes sense now. They were remote crazy. Never left that one for us though.

Old 01-15-11, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by stephen001 View Post
That's it! When we moved in there were remotes everywhere. 6 remotes for window a/c's, at least another 4 or 5 for ceiling lights, remotes for lamps left behind. It took a while to figure what remote went to what fixture.
Ok, now what? Do I have to rewire it for a new remote? Or do I just buy what you pictured, connect it, and it'll work again?
It really makes sense now. They were remote crazy. Never left that one for us though.
There is a wireless receiver in the canopy of the fan. You may need to replace the receiver, the remote, or both. I would buy an item similar to the one in the picture I posted and replace all 3 components. The alternative is to run a 3 conductor cable to the fan from the switch location (replacing the 2 conductor cable) and use a dimmer/fan speed combo

Old 01-16-11, 04:32 PM
Group Moderator
Nice one Danny! Well done!