Light switch

Old 01-15-11, 01:20 PM
Light switch

My renter took apart a timer that was hooked to a ceiling fan because the timer was clicking loudly.

Now, I just want to simply install a normal on/off switch in it's place. There are two sets of wires coming into the box. One set has a red,white, and black wire coming from it. The other set has just a white and black wire coming into the box. I'm sure this is relatively simple for someone who has wiring expertise.

How do I wire a normal light switch to these wires?!?!
Please take it easy on me I have several talents. Wiring is not one of them!
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-11, 03:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! How were the original wires hooked to the timer? Oops, I know. Well, you will have to determine if the red wire is in use at the fan. Did the timer control the fan and light separately? If not, then the red wire may not be used. But you need to make sure. If in fact the red wire is not used, and is capped off in the ceiling box, then it becomes a simple matter of capping the two white wires in the switch box together and the red wire by itself. Hook one black wire to one screw on a switch and the other black to the other screw on the switch. Let us know about the red wire before you proceed.

Old 01-15-11, 05:44 PM
It was just a timer hooked up by itself. No light.

Old 01-15-11, 06:11 PM
Group Moderator
White to white. Black of 2-conductor cable to switch. Try black of 3-conductor to switch. If that doesn't work try red instead.